In Print

Newsprint – 1926

1926 February 17 Orkney Herald

ANOTHER DESTROYER RAISED. – During the early part of last week Messrs Cox & Danks were busy getting wires underneath another large German destroyer lying in the sound between Rysa Little and Pharay, and on Thursday they succeeded in getting her into Mill Bay. On Friday a further lift was effected, and the vessel is now well up in the bay. Fortunately fine, frosty weather prevailed all the time, this expediting matters greatly. As formerly, all available hands were taken from Lyness Pier, and a large local squad under Mr William Mowat, Brims, was engaged. The local men who find time to go to the lifting find remunerative employment at 10s per day.

1926 February 24 Orkney Herald

Mr John Jolly, coal merchant, Kirkwall, expects at the end of this week a cargo of the original Shillbottle coal, for which he is agent. As these coals have proved themselves to be the best variety for parlour use that can be procured, customers should not fail to secure a supply. Orders are now being booked, special rates being given for ex-ship. – Advt.

1926 March 3 Orkney Herald

PLOUGHING MATCHES – ROUSAY. – The Rousay Agricultural Society held their annual ploughing match on Wednesday last week on the farm of Knarston, kindly granted for the occasion by Mr Harry Sinclair. The weather was all that could be desired. There was a good turnout of ploughs, and by 10 o’clock 18 pairs were lined up at their rigs ready to try their skill, all ordinary ploughmen. During the day there were a large number of spectators on the field from this and neighbouring parishes, indicative of the keen interest taken in the competition.

The judges were Messrs Peter Swanney, North Tofts, and Robert Grieve, Whiteclett, both from Egilshay, who had a difficult task to perform, owing to the closeness of the greater portion of the work, and awarded the prizes as follows: –

PLOUGHING. – 1 and Highland Society’s medal, Robert Johnston, Trumland; 2 James Craigie, Furse; 3 James Johnston, Trumland; 4 Malcolm Hourie, Saviskaill; 5 John Leonard, Faraclett; 6 Samuel Inkster, Wasdale; 7 John Marwick, Breck; 8 Alexander Donaldson, Quoys; 9 Albert Munro, Brendale; 10 Hugh Mainland, Hurtiso; 11 Robert Seatter, Banks; 12 Harry Sinclair, Knarston. Youngest ploughman, John Craigie, Trumland; best feering, James Craigie; second best feering, Robert Johnston; finish, John Marwick; straightest ploughing, Robert Johnston.

HARNESS. – 1 James Mainland, Westness; 2 Harry Sinclair, Knarston; 3 James Craigie, Furse; 4 John Leonard, Faraclett; 5 John Craigie, Trumland.

GROOMING. – 1 and medal, James Mainland, 2 John Craigie, 3 Robert Johnston, 4 Alex. Donaldson, 5 Robert Seatter, Banks.

Special prize for most points in Ploughing, Grooming, and Harness, Robert Johnston.

Best Decorations – James Mainland.

During the day the ploughmen, committee, and judges were liberally supplied with refreshments, and in the evening the judges and committee were hospitably entertained to tea by Mr and Mrs Sinclair.

The committee take this opportunity of thanking Mr Sinclair for the use of the field, the judges for their painstaking work, and the donors of medals and special prizes, some of which gave great amusement when announced, and all who so liberally contributed to the funds of the society. They also desire to thank Mr George Gibson, who visited the field, enabling the society to get the Highland Society’s medal.

1926 March 10 Orkney Herald

NECESSITY THE MOTHER OF INVENTION. – The erection of the organ in St Magnus Cathedral proceeds satisfactorily. A few days ago, after a considerable length of the air pipe which runs from the blowing chamber to the organ had been laid, it was discovered that an electric cable was required to lie inside it. The mechanics who are erecting the organ made several attempts, by various methods, to push the cable through, but, owing to bends in the pipe, every effort was in vain. After every method that experience and theory could summon to their plight had failed, a bright idea came to one of the local plumbers. Hastening home for his little dog, he fastened a string to faithful “Pete,” then, while his fellow-plumber held the dog at one end of the pipe, the owner hastened to the other end, and calling “Pete, Pete,” the sagacious little fellow trotted through the pipe, carrying with him a line to which was attached the electric cable. By this means the knotty problem, which otherwise would have meant lifting a certain portion of the air pipe, was solved.

1926 March 31 Orkney Herald

SCAPA FLOW SALVAGE. – With the fine weather of last week Messrs Cox & Danks, Lyness, were able to lift another destroyer – the 23rd. Only two more remain to be lifted, and, we understand, operations have already commenced on the battle-cruiser Hindenburg.

1926 May 5 Orkney Herald

IN SEARCH OF MAY DEW. – On Saturday morning, the ancient custom of washing one’s face in May morning dew was indulged in by about 100 young men and maidens from Kirkwall, who climbed Wideford Hill for the purpose. About 3 o’clock the townspeople were awakened from their slumbers by the shouts and laughter of the young folks as they roused their fellows to join them in their “trek.” The morning was ideal, and the climb up the hill was much enjoyed. After a short rest at the summit the return journey was begun, the party forming in a group at the Water Works, where they were photographed by Mr J. W. Sinclair. The “early birds” returned to town in twos and threes about six o’clock, after a most enjoyable outing.

1926 May 5 Orkney Herald





At 11.30 on Monday night the Press Association issued the following telegram: –

‘Negotiations have failed, and a General Strike commences tomorrow.’


As a result of the complete breakdown of negotiations between the miners and the owners the General Council of the Trade Unions Congress on Saturday decided at a fully representative meeting to call a general strike of vital services on Monday at midnight if no settlement had by that time been arranged.

This decision affects no fewer than five million workers throughout the country, and in consequence a proclamation has been signed by the King declaring a state of emergency.

The Premier, who went without food for twelve hours on Friday, while making his final effort to bring about peace, kept in touch with the men’s leaders, and remained in London over the week-end in case the T.U.C. representatives asked him for a further interview.

Rumours were busy on Saturday to the effect that the owners’ notices had been withdrawn, but these were entirely un-founded.

The unions affected by the strike are, briefly, transport, including railways, sea transport, docks, road transport, printing trades, including the Press, iron and steel and buildings workers – except those employed on housing and hospital work – and those unions connected with electricity and gas are to co-operate with the object of ceasing to supply power.

Mr Bevin, secretary of the Transport Workers’ Union, stated that the men offer to maintain by further voluntary arrangements the distribution of essential foodstuffs, but as a cautionary measure the Government have moved several detachments of troops into South Wales, Lancashire, and Scotland.



Although far removed from the centre of things, the effects of the strike were early felt in Kirkwall. On Saturday morning a steamer arrived with a cargo of coal for a local merchant, but the Customs Officer having received instructions from London to hold up all cargoes of coal, the cargo was not discharged, and the vessel still lies at the pier. The same day saw a “rush” for coal on the part of householders, and (Sunday excepted), coal merchants have had a busy time.

Though the general strike commenced at midnight on Monday, the workers in Kirkwall had not still received notice to leave work yesterday (Tuesday) morning. The dockers, therefore worked the cargo of the steamer St Rognvald as usual, and she left for the south at 7.30 a.m.

The first to receive strike notices in Kirkwall on Tuesday morning were the members of the Typographical Society and the dockers. As our staff all belong to the above society, the next issue of the “Orkney Herald” is uncertain.





With the raising at Scapa Flow of the torpedo-boat G.104, the task of salving the 25 German torpedo-boat destroyers scuttled there in June 1919 after the surrender of the German fleet comes to an end.

It is one of the greatest salvage tasks on record, says the “Daily Mail” of Friday, and has been carried out by Messrs Cox & Danks, Ltd., of Regent Street, London, W. Eighteen of the boats were of 750 tons and seven of 1,300 tons.

In conversation with a press representative, Mr Cox said: – “We bought the boats from the Admiralty for scrapping purposes, and we gambled on our ability to be able to raise them. The work began in 1924.

“In a few weeks time we begin on the biggest salvage task ever attempted. Sunk in 66 ft. of water, with her bow deck just visible, lies the battleship Hindenburg, of 28,000 tons. We have purchased this ship from the Admiralty, and we anticipate that six months will be required to refloat it.

“If we are successful over this we shall tackle the other battleships that still lie on the sea bed.”

Our Longhope correspondent writes: – On Saturday morning Messrs Cox & Danks were successful in raising their twenty-fifth destroyer and getting her safely beached in Mill Bay. As the dock came in she received quite an ovation from all the steamers in port, the first to start blowing its whistle being the Countess Cadogan as she was passing on her usual rounds, being followed by the rest of the steamers, the noise being quite in keeping with the salvage work which had taken place. Liberal refreshments, both “wet” and “dry,” were supplied to the men. Among those who took part in turning the winches was the wife of the firm’s overseer. Two more lifts, and the vessel will be high and dry in Mill Bay.

1926 May 12. [The Kirkwall printers who ceased work on Wednesday and Thursday last week, returned to work on Friday afternoon. This week’s edition of the Orkney Herald contained up-to-date news of the General Strike, and local news from every island and parish….except Rousay!!!]

1926 May 19 Orkney Herald



Shortly after noon on Wednesday, the general strike declared at midnight of Monday, 3rd May, by the Council of the Trade Union Congress was unconditionally called off by order of the same body. The T.U.C.’s decision followed upon their long session on Tuesday night, which extended into the small hours of the following morning. Their conference was continued on Wednesday forenoon, and it transpired later that they had been considering proposals submitted to them unofficially by Sir Herbert Samuel, the Chairman of the Coal Commission, upon which, in his view, negotiations for a settlement of the coal dispute could be resumed…..

LAUNCH OF MOTOR BOAT. – The fine new motor boat “Otter,” built and designed by Messrs James Maxwell & Son for Mr Walter Grant, Trumland, Rousay, was launched at the Corn Slip on Saturday. The “Otter” is 32 feet over all, 8 feet beam and 3 feet draught aft. She has a six cylinder Marine Brook engine. Her frame is of oak and her keel elm, while she is built of white wood spruce, with mahogany fittings. The process of launching was witnessed by very large crowds, and there were any number of volunteers in taking the boat from the shed to the water.

1926 June 16 Orkney Herald





The coal deadlock continues. For the first time since the stoppage began six weeks ago the owners and miners came together in London on Tuesday of last week, but the peace effort proved fruitless.

Following a three hours’ debate, the miners’ Executive accepted the Mining Association’s invitation to have an informal meeting between officials of the respective bodies for a frank discussion of the coal deadlock.

The owners’ and miners’ representatives had a three and a-half hour’s meeting in the afternoon.

A report of the coal owners states that the miners’ leaders declined to move from the position they have taken up all along, and in the circumstances the owners concluded with regret that there appeared to be no immediate hope of carrying the matter any further.

It was learned that the owners found it difficult, owing to the challenging attitude adopted by the miners’ representatives, to carry on discussion with any degree of patience, and it is considered that there is no chance of a further meeting between the parties until the miners’ Executive have obtained wider negotiating powers and freedom from their delegate Conference.

According to Mr Cook, the owners had not receded in the slightest from the demands they had made for longer hours or lower wages.

1926 June 30 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – CANTATA. – A very large congregation assembled in Trumland Church on June 13th to hear the cantata entitled “Rufus and Joe.” A splendidly balanced choir under their very capable leader, Mr Danny McKay, rendered many parts perfectly, and deserve the greatest praise. Miss Longbotham acted as organist in a very pleasing manner. The Rev. D. S. Brown had left the island for the week, but the chair was taken by Mr [John] Inkster, Woo, who proved to be a first-class chairman. The story was read by Mr John Logie in a very nice, interesting manner. Great credit is due Mr Mackay and his choir for the trouble they have taken in giving the cantata, which was highly appreciated, and it is hoped at an early date they will give a similar entertainment.

1926 July 7 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – SERVICE OF PRAISE. – On Sunday, June 27th, a choir party, accompanied by some friends, and conducted by the Rev. John Ferguson, came to Rousay from Harray U.F. Church and held a service of praise in Trumland U.F. Church. The weather was most favourable for a visit of this kind, and the party, numbering over thirty, were conveyed across the sound by two motor boats, one of which was owned by Mr Walter Grant of Trumland House, who kindly lent it for the occasion. The church was practically filled by an interested and most appreciative audience. A silver collection was asked for in aid of the fund which is being raised to repair the two Rousay U.F. Churches, and in aid of which the visitors had given their services. The programme of solos, hymns, and anthems was carried through in a pleasing and hearty fashion, and was much enjoyed by all present, after which the party was hospitably entertained by Mr Johnston, Trumland Farm, and by Mr John Logie, Rose Cottage. This meeting was so successful that many would like to see another of the same nature on some future occasion.

1926 July 7 Orkney Herald




The massive stone tower on Marwick Head, Birsay, erected by the people of Orkney in memory of Field-Marshall Earl Kitchener, his staff, and the officers and men of H.M.S. Hampshire, was unveiled on Friday by General Lord Horne of Stirkoke, who, it will be remembered, unveiled Kirkwall and St Ola War Memorial in October 1923.

In contrast to the weather which prevailed on the night on which the Hampshire was sunk, Friday was beautifully fine, with a slight haze hanging over the sea, where Kitchener and those who perished with him lie, and out of that fog bank came a mighty grey ship in order that the Navy, too, might pay its tribute to the dead.

Noon was the hour fixed for the ceremony, and from early morning until then all roads on the Mainland of Orkney led westwards to the Memorial, which stands a landmark, visible for miles over sea and land. People from both towns and every parish turned out to pay tribute to the man through whose foresight was raised and equipped that mighty army which after years of conflict turned the tide of war in favour of Britain and her Allies and smashed the might of Germany.

At 11.30 a guard was posted on three sides of the Memorial, and there the men, in uniform, ex-Service representatives of the Navy and Army, stood with heads bowed and with hands resting on the butts of their reversed rifles until the unveiling took place…..

Punctually at the appointed hour General Lord Horne arrived, and was received with the salute, after which, accompanied by Sir William Watson Cheyne and Major Mackay, A.D.C., he made an inspection of the guard, here and there exchanging a word with the men, as he passed up and down the ranks…..

Lord Horne then unveiled the memorial, and as he did so a salute of 19 guns was fired by the battleship Royal Sovereign, lying in close proximity to the spot where the Hampshire went down just over ten years ago. The haze that had been lying over the sea all morning was now dispelled, and the sun broke through in all its splendour. As the salute from the battleship thundered and echoed along the cliffs, which at this point are some 300 feet high, clouds of sea-birds, disturbed by the noise, flew seawards from their rocky ledges, filling the air with their protesting cries…..

Psalm 124 was then sung, the lament, the “Flowers of the Forest,” was played by Kirkwall City Pipe Band, and what was in every way a great and memorable event in the history of the islands, which in the war years was the base of the Grand Fleet, was brought to a close with the sounding of the “Last Post,” the benediction, and the singing of the National Anthem.

The vast assemblage gathered on the headland was then afforded an opportunity of viewing the wreaths, during which the Kirkwall Town Band, which made its first public appearance that day, delighted all with the playing of a march. The Kirkwall City Pipe Rand, which also has taken on a new lease of life, played the march “Hieland Laddie,” to the pleasure of all. Never have we heard them play better….



An incident worthy of mention occurred on Friday evening last, following the unveiling ceremony. Mr William Hourston, photographer, Stromness, had been commissioned by one of the leading newspapers to supply photographs of the unveiling, and being determined to have them despatched as soon as possible, he asked for a passage across the Pentland Firth on HMS Wessex, which conveyed General Lord Horne to Caithness soon after the luncheon Stromness Hotel. This privilege not being granted because he did not have an Admiralty permit, and on learning that a London press photographer was already on board that vessel, which meant that the press photographer’s pictures would arrive in London at least 24 hours before those of Mr Hourston, our enterprising photographer sought the assistance of Mr James Anderson, who owns a 14ft. motor yawl. Losing no time, Mr Hourston and Mr Anderson set out for Scrabster, arriving there about 9.30 p.m. After having arranged to get his photographs despatched by the morning mail from Thurso, the two men set out on their return passage at midnight, arriving at Stromness at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning. On the return passage fog was encountered, but Mr Anderson being familiar with the route, he having served for many years on the lighthouse steamer Pole Star, this did not delay them seriously. Mr Anderson, who is 75 years of age, is none the worse for having spent a night at sea.

1926 July 28 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – STOCK DEMONSTRATION. – Under the auspices of the Rousay Agricultural Society a demonstration on stock will be given at Rousay Cattle Show on Tuesday, 10th August, by Mr Wm. Brown, B.Sc., M.R.C.V.S., and Mr J. M. Petrie, Mains of Asleed, Aberdeenshire. Judging from what we have seen of similar demonstrations in other parishes, this is a treat which the farmers of Rousay should not miss.

1926 August 11 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – PICNIC. – The annual picnic in connection with Sourin Public School took place on Friday, 6th August, at Braes, in field kindly granted for the occasion. The weather conditions of the previous evening were anything but favourable for a good picnic day, but the showers of the morning soon gave place to the sunshine of the afternoon. About 1 p.m. the children began to assemble, and were treated to milk and buns before proceeding to the field. Competition was keen in the racing which followed, and many were the prizes won by the zealous competitors. The special feature of the afternoon was the blindfold wheelbarrow race, when many of the competitors lost completely their sense of direction, much to the amusement of the assembled spectators. In the course of the afternoon a large number of parents and friends arrived on the field. After the “grown-up” competition races, tea was a welcome item. The prizes to the successful competitors were handed out by Mrs Corsie. Votes of thanks were given to Mrs Corsie, to the committee, and to Miss Rendall. The day was brought to a close with a most enjoyable dance, which lasted till the small hours of the morning…..

1926 August 18 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY CATTLE SHOW. – The annual show of the Rousay Agricultural Society was held on Tuesday last week in a field kindly granted by Mr Robert Seatter, Banks, Sourin. The cattle were an increased entry and a splendid show; but the horses forward were rather few in numbers, although of high standard. In the cattle sections the champion animal, belonging to Messrs Mainland Bros., was a very fine, blue-grey cow of great substance. In the horse sections the Highland Society’s medal for the best mare was won by Mr James Johnston, Trumland, this animal taking premier place over last year’s winner, belonging to the same exhibitor, which this year was placed as reserve. The best gelding in the yard was the property of Mr Thomas Inkster, Nearhouse, while the reserve belonged to Mr James Craigie.

The judging was carried out by Messrs W. Ritch, Kierfiold, Sandwick, and Mr J. M. Petrie, Aberdeen, for cattle; and Messrs W. Brown, Aberdeen, Wm. Corrigall, Northbigging, Harray, and J. G. S. Flett, Nistaben, Harray, for horses. The duties of secretary were energetically carried out by Mr John Harrold. The committee in charge consisted of Messrs Geo. Gibson, Alan Gibson, Hugh Robertson, John Gibson, Robert Seatter, Robert Mainland, Thomas Inkster, Mark M. Kirkness, and David Gibson. The Society desire to thank Mr Seatter for the use of his field, and Miss [Mary] Rendall, teacher, for placing her house at their disposal. Annexed is the prize-list: –

CATTLE. – Calves calved on or after 1st Oct. 1925 – 1 and 3 Mainland Bros., Westness; 2 Geo. Gibson, Avelshay; highly commended W. Corsie, Glebe; commended James Johnston, Trumland. Calves calved after 1st March – 1 J. Johnston, Trumland; 2 and 3 Hugh Mainland, Hurtiso. Highland Society’s medal for Best Quey Calf – Mainland Bros. Polled Bulls – 1 Mainland Bros. Polled Cows – 1 and c Mainland Bros., 2 Alan Gibson, Bigland; 3 Geo. Gibson, Avelshay; hc Thos. Inkster, Nearhouse. Shorthorn Cows – 1 D. Marwick, Quoys; 2 Hugh Craigie, Scockness; 3 Hugh Mainland; hc Mainland Bros. Three-year-old Polled Queys – 1 Geo. Gibson, 2 Mainland Bros. 3 Wm. Corsie, Glebe; hc R. Scatter. Three-year-old Shorthorn Cows – 1 Hugh Craigie, 2 Geo. Gibson. Best Milk Cow – Mainland Bros.; reserve, Geo. Gibson. Two-year-old Queys – 1 and 2 Geo. Gibson, 3 Jas. Johnston, Trumland; hc Hugh Robertson, Langskaill; c Robt. Seatter. Board of Agriculture Prizes – 1 and 2 Geo. Gibson, 3 James Johnston. Two-year-old Shorthorn Queys – 1 Mainland Bros. 2 Hugh Robertson. Two-year-old Polled Steers – 1 Hugh Craigie; 2 and 3 Hugh Robertson; hc and c David Marwick. Two-year-old Shorthorn Steers – 1 Hugh Craigie, 2 Hugh Robertson. One-year-old Polled Queys calved on or after 1st Oct. – 1 A. C. Gibson, Bigland. One-year-old Shorthorn Queys calved on or after 1st Oct. – 1 Hugh Craigie. One-year-old Polled Steers calved on or after 1st Oct. – 1, 2, and 3 Thos. Inkster, hc A. C. Gibson, c Robt. Seatter. One-year-old Shorthorn Steers calved on or after 1st Oct. – 1, 2, and 3 Robt. Seatter. One-year-old Polled Queys calved on or after 1st March – 1 Thomas Inkster, 2 Jas. Johnston, 3 Wm. Corsie, hc David Marwick. One-year-old Short-horn Queys calved on or after 1st March – 1 and 2 Hugh Robertson, 3 H. Mainland. One-year-old Polled Steers calved on or after 1st March – 1, 2, and 3 Thos. Inkster, hc David Marwick, c Wm. Corsie. One-year-old Shorthorn Steers calved on or after 1st March – 1 Hugh Craigie, 2 Robt. Seatter. Messrs Middleton’s (Aberdeen) cup for best animal in cattle section – Mainland Bros. Mr Moir’s (Aberdeen) cakestand for Best One-year-old Bullock or Heifer – Thos. Inkster. Mr R. Miller’s (Kirkwall) cup for Best Two-year-old Quey – Geo. Gibson.

HORSES. – Draught Geldings – 1 Jas. Craigie, Falquoy; 2 Hugh Mainland, Hurtiso; 3 W. Corsie, Glebe; vhc James Munro, Swandale. Yeld Mares – 1 James Johnston, Trumland; 2 Hugh Mainland, 3 and vhc Thos. Gibson, Broland. Two-year-old Fillies – 1 Geo. Gibson, 2 Hugh Robertson, Langskaill, 3 Robt. Seatter, Banks. One-year-old Geldings – 1 James Johnston, 2 Geo. Gibson. One-year-old Filly – 1 Jas. Craigie, Falquoy. Highland and Agricultural Society’s medal for Best Mare in Yard – 1 Jas. Johnston; reserve, Jas. Johnston. Garden, Ltd.’s, medal for Best Gelding – Thos. Inkster; reserve, Jas. Craigie. Special prize for Horse Shoeing – J. Johnston (W. Sutherland. Mrs J. Costie, Kirkwall, kindly handed over the prizes.

DEMONSTRATION ON STOCK. – At the conclusion of the Rousay show a most interesting demonstration of stock judging was given by Mr Wm. Brown, B.Sc., M.R.C.V.S., of the North of Scotland College of Agriculture, and Mr James Ewen, J.P., demonstrator on fat cattle for the College of Agriculture, Aberdeen. The demonstration, which was on similar lines to that given at Sanday, was highly appreciated by all present. The judges complimented the exhibitors on the quality of the stock. Both the champion of the cattle section, a beautiful blue-grey cow, belonging to Messrs Mainland Bros., Westness, and the champion mare, belonging to Mr James Johnston, Trumland, would do great credit to any district. The shoeing competition, which was judged by Mr Brown, is a feature which, in the opinion of the judge, ought to be encouraged in other districts.

1926 August 25 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – FORTHCOMING REGATTA. – On Thursday evening, the 19th inst., a public meeting was held at Trumland Pier, when it was resolved to form a sailing club. Mr John Logie, Rose Cottage, was appointed commodore; Dr Thomson, vice-commodore; Mr James T. Gibson, secretary; and Mr Charles Logie, jr., treasurer, along with a committee of management. It was decided to hold a regatta on Wednesday, 1st September, when there will be three sailing races for the different classes of boats, also an all-comers’ and the usual rowing races. The rules of the old Rousay Sailing Club are to be adopted, and hand bills will be sent to the usual places as formerly. The committee trust a goodly number of boats will come forward to compete in the several races. For the convenience of visitors a tearoom will be opened in the store on the day of the regatta.

1926 September 1 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – SERVICE IN WASBISTER SCHOOL. – A very pleasant service was conducted in Wasbister Public School on Sunday, 29th August, by Captain Craigie. He had a full house, and spoke very earnestly on the sufferings of Christ on earth for mankind and how little was given in return from them. The singing was very hearty, and Mr R. A. [Robert Alexander] Inkster presided at the harmonium.

1926 September 8 Orkney Herald



The first regatta under the auspices of the newly-formed Rousay Sailing Club took place in Viera Sound on Wednesday, 1st September. The weather conditions proved too fair from a sailing point of view, and no doubt failed to bring out the sailing qualities of some of the boats.

However, towards midday a light westerly breeze sprang up, which enabled the first race to get away. This race was for boats 18 feet waterline and under, for which there were five entries, namely, Snowdrop, Viking, Thora, Bulldog, and Ceska. The course was the usual triangular one, and for this race, twice round the course. All boats made a good start, and on sighting round Avelshay Point the Viking was seen to lead, followed by Snowdrop and Ceska. There was little changing of place throughout the race, and the finish was as follows, corrected time: –

1 Viking (Dr Thomson) 1h 23m 39s
2 Snowdrop (Charles Logie, jr.) 1h 25m 33s
3 Ceska (David Gibson) 1h 39m 28s
4 Thora (William Miller) 1h 39m 55s
5 Bulldog (Tom Isbister) 1h 51m 13s

The second race was for boats 14 feet waterline and under, and for this race there were six entries, viz.: – Mary Ann, Ivy, Daisy, Rose, Tam-a-Norrie, and Surprise. Four of these were square-sterned boats, the other two being small yawls. The condition for this race was only once round the course, and as there was a little more wind all the boats finished in good time. Their times, when corrected, were as follows:-

1 Daisy (John Logie) 51m 55s
2 Surprise (Tom Sinclair) 53m 4s
3 Tam-a-Norie (Hugh Mainland) 55m 33s
4 Rose (Harry Logie) 55m 37s
5 Mary Ann (Sam Mainland) 56m 22s
6 Ivy (George Harrold) 57m 0s

For the all-comers’ race all the boats entered with the exception of the Ivy. The conditions for this race was twice round the course, but unfortunately after the first round the wind fell almost to a calm, and the race resolved itself into a drifting match. Eventually all the boats, with the exception of the Viking, Thora, and Mary Ann retired, and these, after a long time of sailing and drifting, finished as follows: –

1 Viking (Dr Thomson)
2 Thora (William Miller)
3 Mary Ann (Sam Mainland)

The rowing races took place during the afternoon and were keenly contested. For the boys’ rowing race, four boats entered, and after a hard pull finished as follows: –

1 William Craigie and John Marwick.
2 John Wylie and James Wylie.
3 Magnus Flaws and Neil Flaws.
4 James Marwick and Hugh Marwick.

For the ladies rowing race three boats entered, and after an exciting race, the orders of merit were: –

1 Misses Cilla Logie and Girlie Logie.
2 Misses Annie Johnston and Kathleen Gibson.
3 Misses Ada Mainland and Lilian Mathieson.

The men’s rowing race was to Viera and back to Trumland Pier. Four boats entered and the successful winners were: –

1 George Petrie and Robert Inkster.
2 David Gibson and James Grieve.
3 Robert Johnston and James S. Gibson, jr.
4 Tom Marwick and Tom Sinclair (retired)

At the close of the races the prizes were handed out to the successful competitors by Miss Marjorie Gibson, for which she was accorded a hearty vote of thanks. The committee opened a tearoom in the store during the day for the convenience of visitors, and much credit is due to the young ladies of the Frotoft Picnic Committee, who presided, for the excellence of the arrangements.

The committee would take this opportunity of thanking all those who subscribed to the funds or in any way helped to make the regatta a success; especially all are grateful for the number who came forward to compete in the several races.

1926 September 15 Orkney Herald

THE HARVEST MOON. – The full moon of the 21st is the harvest moon, being that which occurs nearest to the autumnal equinox, and its rising at nearly the same time on several consecutive evenings was at one time considered to be ordained specially to favour the harvest work.

EARLY MIGRATION. – A flock of wild geese was observed flying over Kirkwall Bay in a south-easterly direction on Saturday morning. There is an old saying that the early migration of these birds portends an early waiter.

THE HINDENBURG. – Our Longhope correspondent writes as follows: – No luck has attended the salvage operations of the Hindenburg, and Messrs Cox and Danks have for the present given up their attempt to lift the vessel. On Sunday of last week they had to submerge her for the fourth time, as the further they pumped her out, the more she listed, and was in danger of turning over on her side. On Thursday last they paid off about seventy men, only a few being kept on. It is understood that diving may be carried on around the Moltke, which lies in the middle of the channel between Cava and Rysa Little.




The Biometric Laboratory University College, London, has just issued the July number of the “Biometrika,” a journal for the statistical study of biological problems, which contains a report by Professor R. W. Reid, M.D., LL.D., and F.R.C.S., Emeritus Professor of Anatomy, University of Aberdeen, on the remains of St Magnus and St Rognvald, entombed in St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall.

The object of the examination was to decide, if possible, whether this supposition might be accepted as verified, and if so, to make an anthropological record of the skeletal remains of two celebrated Norsemen who had both been canonized in the twelfth century.

The only means of attaining this object was by an investigation of the history of these individuals, in so far as it could be obtained from the “Orkneyinga Saga” and other relative documents, and by associating the facts so ascertained with the physical appearances presented by the skeletal remains and the locations in the cathedral in which they were found.

After a brief summary of historical facts relating to the death, burial, and removal of relics of the Orkney Saints Magnus and Rognvald, Professor Reid says: –

“There is thus conclusive evidence that the relics of Saint Magnus and Saint Rognvald were placed in the Cathedral.

“It is now necessary to discuss the evidence in favour of the supposition that the bones discovered in the two pillars of the Cathedral are those of Saint Magnus and Saint Rognvald. Such evidence has been given with considerable fullness by Mr John Mooney, F.S.A. (Scotland), Kirkwall.

“It is probable that prior to the extension of the choir eastwards, which was made more than a century after the founding of the Cathedral in 1137, the relics occupied places of honour near the high altar. Before the extension, the high altar stood in close proximity to the pillars in which the relics have been found, and it has been surmised that the relics were subsequently transferred to these pillars when the altar was removed during the extension of the choir. There is, however, no documentary evidence from the early history of the Cathedral as to the date of the transference.

“It has been known for several generations locally that there were bones in the third pier from the east on the north side of the choir. These were surmised to be those of Saint Magnus. The bones were viewed by the late Marquis of Bute, who rejected the idea that they were those of Saint Magnus, and regarded them as being probably those of Saint Rognvald.

“In March 1919 a chest containing bones was discovered in the corresponding pier on the south side of the choir.

“It is submitted that the researches embodied in the following paper leave little doubt that they are those of Saint Magnus. Their position in the south pillar corresponds with that of the bones in the north pillar.

“On the assumption that the bones in the south pillar are those of Saint Magnus, it seems certain that the bones in the corresponding position on the north side were those of one comparable to him in dignity, and in the veneration of those who placed them there. No other person than Saint Rognvald fulfils these conditions. Saint Magnus and Saint Rognvald were the only saints having a special connection with Orkney. There was no other local canonization. Other early dedications in the country are to Scottish or Irish saints whose disciples as Christian missionaries founded churches there, or to Saint Olaf of Norway, who claimed the sovereignty of the islands. Whether the bones received sepulture in the pillars as a token of special honour, or with a view to special security, there is no one other than Rognvald to share with Magnus in such honours or solicitude for his relics.”

CONCLUSIONS. – The following are the Professor’s conclusions:-

“(1) The results obtained from an investigation of the human remains found in the south and north pillars of the Cathedral of Saint Magnus, Kirkwall, Orkney, conformed with the descriptions and histories of Saint Magnus and Saint Rognvald as obtained from the “Orkneyinga Saga” and other relative documents.

“(2) The investigation on the whole confirmed the conclusion that the human remains which were contained in a wooden case in the south pillar belonged to Saint Magnus and that those which were found in a cavity in the north pillar belonged in all probability to Saint Rognvald.

“(3) It was interesting to note that as regards racial characters neither of the remains of the two Saints possessed characters which were purely of the type we now associate with the tall Nordic type.”

In addition to the letterpress of the report there are thirteen sketches and eight very fine half-tone reproductions of photographs, which were, we understand, taken by Mr Tom Kent, Kirkwall. Only a limited number of copies are for sale, and these may be procured from any of the local book sellers at 2/- each.

1926 October 27 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – PRESENTATION OF SUNDAY-SCHOOL PRIZES. – On the evening of Sunday, the 17th inst., the scholars attending the Frotoft Sunday-school were presented with their prizes for perfect attendance throughout the year, as follows: – Minnie Reid and Anna Reid, Tratland; Lily Sinclair, Banks; John Marwick, James Marwick, and Hugh Marwick, No. 1 Frotoft [Breek]. Mr James Low, Westness, superintendent, presented the prizes and addressed the class. Mr Low, who takes a deep interest in Sunday-school work, is ably assisted by Miss Mainland, No. 4 Frotoft [Cott], while Mr D. B. Mackay, Cruseday, conducts the singing. On the evening of the presentation Mr Mackay, along with the scholars, rendered a few solos, duets, and part songs in a very pleasing manner. That the work of the teachers is much appreciated in the district is evidenced by the regular attendance of the children.

1926 December 1 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – PRESENTATION. – On Thursday, the 18th ult., a deputation from the congregation of Trumland Church, consisting of Messrs J. Johnston, Trumland; G. Harrold, Trumland Pier; Capt. Sinclair, Bellona; J. Harrold, Springfield; William Grieve, Upper Knarston; and John Logie, Rose Cottage, waited on Mr George Gibson of Avelshay, and presented him with an armchair. Capt. Sinclair, who made the presentation in name of the congregation, in a neat little speech expressed their regret, that owing to his health, Mr Gibson was unable to continue longer as their leader of praise. They remembered the many services he had rendered the congregation since he was a schoolboy and one of the choir of Trumland Church. Although unable to continue as precentor, they hoped he would be long spared to associate with them and give his valuable aid in congregational matters, and that he would be long spared to use the chair. Mr Gibson very feelingly and suitably replied. The deputation were afterwards sumptuously entertained by Mr and Mrs Gibson, and spent a very pleasant evening. On the presentation plate the inscription is as follows: – “Presented to George Gibson, Esq. of Avelshay, on his retirement as precentor in Trumland U.F. Church, by the congregation in recognition of his valuable services rendered gratuitously in connection with church music.”

1926 December 15 Orkney Herald

COALS FOR CHRISTMAS. – The steamer Fernside arrived at Kirkwall on Monday morning with a cargo of English coal for Mr John Jolly, coal merchant. This is the first cargo of British coal to arrive at Kirkwall since the month of May.

[The 1926 general strike in the UK lasted nine days, from 3 May 1926 to 12 May 1926. It was called by the General Council of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) in an unsuccessful attempt to force the British government to act to prevent wage reduction and worsening conditions for 1.2 million locked-out coal miners. Some 1.7 million workers went out, especially in transport and heavy industry. The government was prepared and enlisted middle class volunteers to maintain essential services. There was little violence and the TUC gave up in defeat. Though nine days in, the TUC leadership knew ‘the government could hold out longer than the workers’, it was perceived at the time as a ‘brilliant failure’.

The miners maintained resistance for a few months before being forced, by their own economic needs, to return to the mines. By the end of November, most miners were back at work. Those still employed were forced to accept longer hours, lower wages and district wage agreements. The strikers felt that they had achieved nothing.]