Picton was the name of a dwelling on the hill above Feolquoy in Wasbister.
Picton was was occupied briefly in the mid-1800’s by James Gibson. He was the son of Hugh Gibson and Janet Inkster of Skatequoy and he was born on February 16th 1803. His wife Mary earned a living as a dressmaker, and the annual rent they had to pay was one shilling.
Another tenant at Picton in 1861 was 55-year-old Betsy Craigie, who was a stocking knitter, previously living at Loweshouse. The census of 1871 tells us Betsy had moved down to Maybank, near the schoolhouse, and she was the Wasbister letter carrier, affectionately known as ‘Post Betty’.