In Print

Newsprint – 1943

1943 January 13 Orkney Herald

EVIE – EARLY SPOOT EBB. – At new moon last week there was a “good ebb,” and on three successive afternoons spoots were taken on the Evie Sands. So early in the season, few observed the favourable conditions, only two fishers appearing on the scene. These were very successful and brought home good catches which were shared by many friends. The delightful odour of the molluscs in the process of being cooked whetted the appetite, and a most enjoyable feast followed.



The purple night is hushed and calm,
Save here, where crashing breakers roar,
And sigh again with ceaseless moan,
On northern shore….

The velvet sky above, illum’ed
With myriads of silent stars:
How vast and bare its beauty is
Seen from afar!

Anon, from out the darkness black
A shrieking whitemaa wings his flight,
And hovers ghostly o’er the foam
By pale moonlight….

And o’er the heaving, restless deep
The golden lights of harbour gleam;
There life goes on with endless roar –
No time to dream….

But give to me this lonely isle
Where sweet salt odours ever flow,
To live alone with bird and flower
And fear no foe….

G. M. B.


OBITUARY. – Mr Robert Grieve Harrold, retired watchmaker, died at his home in Kirkwall on Friday, 8th January, in his eighty-first year. For nigh on sixty years Mr Harrold had carried on business in Kirkwall, and was known and respected by thousands throughout the county.

A native of Rousay, he served his apprenticeship as a watchmaker with the late Mr Donald Morgan in premises at the Big Tree, Kirkwall. On the opposite side of the street, on the site at which it is still carried on, Mr A. M. Morgan, son of Mr Harrold’s master, later established the business of A. M. Morgan & Son.

By 1883 Mr Harrold, was in business on his own account in premises in Victoria Street, now occupied by W. H. Irvine, shoemaker. Later he occupied premises at the foot of Laing Street, now Messrs R. Garden’s drapery shop, and subsequently moved to a shop on the opposite side of Albert Street, now occupied by Mr L. Celli, confectioner, where he remained until he retired some years ago.

In his early days in Kirkwall Mr Harrold was a member of St Magnus Mutual Improvement Association, which met once a week in the vestry of St Magnus Cathedral under the presidency of the late Rev James Walker. To this body Mr Harrold contributed some very interesting papers.

His principal relaxations were trout fishing and bowls, at both of which he was an adept. He was also a keen gardener and spent much of his time during his retirement in his garden at the Willows.

He was a keen Free Mason, and was in fact, one of the oldest members of Lodge Kirkwall Kilwinning, No. 38.2, of which he was a past master.

He was a member of King Street Church, and was the oldest elder of that congregation.

Mr Harrold was twice married. His first wife, Miss Elisabeth Tulloch, of North Ronaldshay, died fifty-five years ago. His second wife, Miss Jane Clouston, Orphir, predeceased him by a few years.

The death of his son, Squadron-Leader John H. C. Harrold, in August 1942, in the Middle East, following an operation for appendicitis, was a severe blow to Mr Harrold, who had failed noticeably since then.

The funeral was held to St Olaf Cemetery, and the services, both at the house and at the grave were conducted by Canon E. V. Kissack, St Olaf Church, Kirkwall.

[Robert Grieve Harrold, born 15 September 1862, was the sixth of seven children of Robert Harrold, Hammermugly (Blossom), and Mary Grieve, Egilsay.]

1943 February 17 Orkney Herald

EVIE – SIGNS OF SPRING. – Though winter is still very much with us, spring is not far behind, and signs of the cold earth wakening up from its winter sleep are evident in earth and air and sky. Punctual to time, the snowdrop is here again, and is strikingly noticeable in a large carpet spread over the lawns and burn-sides of the Manse garden, where it flourishes in great beauty. This meek, wax-like blossom no weather can blight or stain, and we welcome it as the harbinger of all other vernal flowers. Wild birds have become vocal and are hopping about in lively chatter. Thrushes and blackbirds are making love to one another and are busy gathering twigs for nest building. The lark, blithe spirit, has again been heard – singing as it soars and soaring as it sings, its joyous notes gladdening the earth. Daylight is now rapidly increasing.

1943 February 27 The Scotsman

NATURE NOTES – COMMUNAL ROOSTING OF RAVENS. – …..A friend tells me of the curious tale of a pair of Orkney ravens. Over a Neolithic burial chamber at Westness, Rousay, a large cover house was built. At one end of the building is a large observation window, and the plate glass is held into the wooden frame by a thick bed of putty. A pair of ravens took a fancy to this putty and dug holes out of it, so that it had to be repaired more than once. Putty has a curious fascination for some birds, and I have known a pair of crossbills dig it out of the bedding of a skylight window.

1943 March 10 Orkney Herald


STOCK. – Work Horse (10 years old), Work Mare (5 years old), 4 Cows (three May calvers, one newly calved), 5 Young Cattle, 1 Calf, 2 Ewes, 1 Pig.

CROP. – 2 Stacks Oats, 1 Stack Hay.

IMPLEMENTS. – 2 Box Carts (one almost new), Sledge Cart, pair Cart Wheels, Single Plough, Grubber, One-Horse “Albion” Reaper, set Iron Harrows, set Wooden Harrows, Scuffler, Wheelbarrow, Turnip Cutter, Cart and Plough Harness, set Scales (Avery’s 3 cwt.), Sack Barrow, 2 Henhouses, Egg Boxes (30 dozen size), 10 doz. size Egg Grader, Shovels, Forks, Hoes, Lanterns, Dairy Utensils, “Darling” Washer, Wringer, Zinc Pails, Baths, Tubs, etc., One Horse Van, in good condition.

FURNITURE. – Sideboard, Sofas, Dining Room Chairs, Fireside Chairs, 4 sets Chests of Drawers, Tables, Bedsteads, Dressing Table, Washstands, Writing Desk, Carpet (9 x 12), Linoleum, Mats, Sheepskin Rugs, Blankets, Bed Linen, Table Linen, Cushions, Pictures, Mirrors, Companion Sets, Ornaments, Barometer, Books (including 10 volumes Children’s Encyclopaedia), Spinning Wheels, Orkney Chair, small Kitchen Girnel, No. 8 “Plantress” Stove, Crockery, Cooking Utensils, Lamps, Scales, Cutlery, and a variety of other articles.

Sale to commence at 10.30 o’clock.

Four months’ credit on approved bills for sums of £5 and upwards, or discount thereon for cash.

T. SMITH PEACE, Auctioneer.

1943 March 17 Orkney Herald



One day last week no little excitement was caused in the vicinity of Kirkwall Harbour when an uninvited guest decided to do a little social round of her own making. The “visitor” was four-footed, with a pair of horns and a tail, and as she was being escorted to her destination the “coo,” displaying admirable discernment and good taste, decided to call upon mine host, Mr Andrew S. Johnston of the St Ola Hotel.

The visit was not carried out with the decorum and gentility one would expect from a perfect lady, as her ascent to the first floor was marred by some very rough treatment of the balustrade.

When it seemed that the St Ola Hotel was due for some further and possibility more extensive damage, the Army was called in and executed a very clever pincer movement which resulted in the cow carrying out a strategic retirement.

Cow and escort, having been seen safely on their way once more, peace and quiet reigned on the Kirkwall front.

1943 April 21 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY PROPERTY. – The farm of Hullion, Rousay, extending to about 20 acres of arable land, together with hill ground and a shop, store and slaughterhouse, was sold by public roup in Kirkwall last Thursday, and was purchased by Mr C. E. S. Walls, solicitor, Kirkwall, for a client. The property was owned and occupied by Mr James Gibson, and realised £960. Upset price was £500.

1943 May 5 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – THE LATE MRS DOUGLAS CRAIGIE. – A sudden gloom was cast over the island last Monday when it became known that Mrs Douglas Craigie, Hunclett, had met her death in a most distressing accident. Alice, as she was affectionately known to all her friends, was in her twenty-first year, and had been married for only nineteen months. She was a member of the Woman’s Guild and the Frotoft Entertainment Committee, to both of which she gave willing service. Quiet and unassuming, but of a cheery disposition, she always had a happy smile and bright greeting for all who met her. Young and old will cherish her memory and deplore her loss. Deepest sympathy is felt for her husband and all relatives in this sudden bereavement.

[Alice was the daughter of John Donaldson and Margaret Stout, Watten, Egilsay. Husband Douglas was the son of Alexander Craigie, Turbitail, later Hunclett, and Rose Ida Gibson, Hullion]

1943 May 19 Orkney Herald

NEW RATION BOOKS. – The issue of the new identity cards and ration books will begin in Orkney on Monday, May 31. The public are urged to see that page 38 of the current ration book is accurate and up to date. Fill in page 3 as directed on it. On no account take it out. On page 4, disregard what is put on it. Write across the top “Milk,” and the name and address of present milk retailer. In the green book (RB2), underneath “Milk” write also “Meat and eggs,” in each case giving the names and addresses of the retailers. At the proper time call at the office specified with current identity card and ration book, or get a friend to call instead. If in order, new documents will be issued. Sign the new identity card, but write nothing on the ration book until instructed later.

The Orkney Herald at this time was full of reports of wartime stories from across the globe. Closer to home, here in Orkney the population had risen dramatically, due to the presence of Royal Navy, Army, and Royal Air Force personnel. There was also a massive influx of civilian workmen, engaged in the building and maintenance of the Scapa Flow naval base, Grimsetter, Sparrowhawk [Hatston], and Skeabrae airfields, and barracks and other related buildings throughout Orkney. Orcadians that hadn’t been called up got on with their everyday life, and more often than not kept themselves to themselves. The newspaper columns were full of reports of fundraising for the war effort, how to adhere to the rules of the black-out, rationing of food, clothing and fuel – and endless column inches telling of criminal activity, road traffic accidents, and a multitude of other incidents – many of which had to do with excessive intake of alcohol! This year there has been hardly a word from Rousay at all… I continue to scan the pages, and extract items of interest which give an insight into everyday life in wartime Orkney. Having said that this next item harks back to the early 1600s!…..

1943 May 26 Orkney Herald

SEVENTEENTH CENTURY WITHCRAFT IN ORKNEY. – The first half of the seventeenth century was a time of witch-burning in Orkney. The evidence, as might be expected in a period when people were sunk in superstition, was often of a most ludicrous kind. Sometimes, too, accusations were made from feelings of malice and ill-will.

In the parish of Evie there lived a widow named Katherine Grieve or Miller, with a family of several children. She became suspected of witchcraft, and, in consequence, was feared and hated by her superstitious neighbours, and after a time brought to trial as a witch.

The case against her contains charges of “practising witchcraft, sorceries, divinations, and charms, and giving herself forth to have such craft and knowledge, thereby abusing the people; and that by her cursings and imprecations she wronged and hurt man and beast, which evil was brought to pass by the working of the devil, her master.” Here are some of the items in the indictment: –

At some distance from her house was a hillock called Howan Greeny, on the top of which were the ruins of an old house. The place was thought to be haunted, and people quickened their steps if they had to pass it after sunset. One day in the spring of 1627, a boy named James Frishell, who was herding swine on the hill, took shelter from the cold and rain in this old ruin. Here he found Katherine Grieve, his grandmother Mary Richart, who was also reputed to be a witch, and the devil in the guise of a black man.

Katherine, angry at being discovered, called out “fiercely to her black companion to take him (the boy), for he would tell upon them”; but the boy’s grandmother said nobody would believe the boy, and he was allowed to go. Next day he told his master, Magnus Smith, what he had seen.

Years afterwards, when Katherine and Mary were sitting in the stocks, Katherine reminded her companion of this incident, and pointed out that the boy was now a witness against them.

A few months later a woman in Evie, Ursilla or Osslie Fea, was churning milk in the firehouse of her small farm. There was a big peat fire in the hearth, which stood in the middle of the floor, and was composed of stones built to the height of about three feet on the back and both sides. She worked for hours, but no butter came, and at last, sweating and tired, she heated a large stone, put it in the churn, and got two pounds of butter, or about one-fourth of the usual quantity.

Osslie, believing now that Katherine had “taken away the profit of the milk,” sent her servant to milk the witch’s cow. When the servant came back, the two milks were mixed, and in a few minutes Osslie had nine pounds of butter from the same quantity of milk that she could not, with all her “spaighing and plouting,” get any from before.

But she was punished for daring to milk Katherine’s cow. Within twenty-four hours she was seized with a severe illness, which continued until, after about ‘six weeks’ suffering, she, at the witch’s request, drank from the churn, and was at once restored to health.

But the “profit” of the milk was again gone, and, according to the evidence of witnesses at Katherine’s trial, no amount of churning had since availed to make butter.

On one occasion Katherine, asked to cure a sick horse, advised the owner to get three different kinds of silver, put them in a sieve, and sift them over the back of the horse. It is not recorded what the effect was.

Her daughter once went and took, without permission, cabbages from the yard of one John Brown, a farmer in Evie. His servant reproved the girl, and suffered for doing so, for when the girl told her mother what had happened, Katherine bade her take the cabbages back and throw them at the servant. This was done, and the servant was so seriously injured by being struck on the chest by a cabbage, that she was ill for a fortnight. Katherine herself went to Brown’s house and told him she had dreamt that if this wife would give alms to her daughter, the servant would immediately recover. Alms were given, and the result was as Katherine had promised.

One of Katherine’s sons was a herd-boy to this same farmer, and was dismissed. This angered Katherine and, as her neighbours believed, as a result of her witchcraft one cow died immediately and all the rest shortly afterwards. Another farmer, who had had another of Katherine’s sons in his service had a similar experience.

Before sunrise one morning Katherine went to the house of John Peace, near Kirkwall. John’s wife ordered her off, and was instantly seized by an extraordinary disease, which made her unable to walk from her mother-in-law’s house to her own, though they were close together, and she had to creep on her hands and knees. Katherine was sent for, and laid a hand on the sick woman’s head and gave her a drink of milk. The woman instantly recovered the use of her limbs.

Katherine was tried before a Sheriff and jury in the “wall house” of the Cathedral in Kirkwall on the 29th of May, 1633. She was found guilty, and sentenced to be carried by the lockman to the cross and burned on the cheek.

The sentence was a lenient one, for death was the usual penalty for the crime of witchcraft. Katherine, however, only escaped that penalty by binding herself “that if at any time thereafter she should be found to haunt suspected places, or to use charms or the like, she should in that case be burnt without dome to her death, and that willingly of her own consent.”

Reprinted from Peace’s Orkney Almanac, 1913.

1943 June 9 Orkney Herald

EVIE – FARM. – It has been an exceptionally long seed time – months having elapsed between the first and last sowings of the cereals. The earliest seed sown made slow progress, hampered by wet, wind and cold. Later sowings fared better, responding to more favourable weather conditions. The latest commitments, sown in the end of May, are scarcely showing leaf yet. Potato planting extended over a long period also. Turnip sowing is now well on its way. On one or two of the most forward farms the work has been practically finished, one farm showing little seedlings. Peat cutting is about a month later than usual, hindered by the pressure of work on the land and wet weather.

1943 June 23 Orkney Herald

VITAMIN PRODUCTS. – Expectant mothers and all children holding R.B.2 Ration Cards are eligible for vitamin products – orange juice and cod liver oil. Both the Ministry of Food and the Department of Health are anxious to encourage a wider use of these products amongst eligible persons and parents are urged to obtain supplies from their nearest distribution centre. The local Food Office, District Nurse or Health Visitor will be pleased to give guidance about the scheme to any who are interested.

RED CROSS – SPHAGNUM MOSS. – The demand for sphagnum moss for surgical dressings is steadily increasing. The Red Cross appeals to all those who can gather and dry the moss to do so during the coming season. Last year, because of the inclement weather, very little moss was sent from Orkney. It is hoped that this year, with favourable weather, many sacks may be sent. The moss should be dried and cleaned if possible. The Aberdeen Depot takes uncleaned moss but prefers it to be at least, roughly cleaned. Collectors in the North Isles, to save transport from and to the Kirkwall Pier should send direct to Lady Hamilton-Fyfe, Marischal College, Aberdeen, sending at the same time a postcard to either Mrs W. A. Sinclair, Willowburn Road, Kirkwall, or Mrs J. S. Cormack, 17 Palace Road, Kirkwall, intimating the number of sacks sent.

1943 June 30 Orkney Herald

WINGS FOR VICTORY. – Orkney has done it again! Upholding the standard raised in the War Weapons Week two years ago, and kept proudly flying in the Warship Week last year, the county has this year again, in the “Wings for Victory” Week just ended, doubled its target. Up to yesterday (Monday) evening the sum of £299,221 had been recorded – a magnificent tribute to the patriotism and thrift of Orkney and Orcadians. The total includes £4138 in Free Gifts and £1000 in interest-free loans…..

ROUSAY – FROTOFT PICNIC. – The annual Frotoft picnic was held at Frotoft School on Friday, 18th June, at 3 p.m. Owing to pressure of work on the farms, and to the fact that many of the young people have been called away, the company was considerably smaller this year. There was a record turnout of children, however, and they thoroughly enjoyed their picnic. After the games and races were over, tea was served by the committee. Then Miss [Edith] McLean, Sourin School, presented prizes to the winners. She also handed over to Edith Pirie a prize book which she had won for an essay written in the Essay Competition of the S.S.P.C.A. Votes of thanks were proposed to Miss McLean, Mrs Harcus and the Picnic Committee, and were heartily responded to. Dancing then began, and continued until 2 a.m. Music was supplied by the Wasbister Band, assisted by other local musicians…..

EVIE – CUITHES. – The cuithe season is here and there have been favourable weather and tides for fishing. Several good catches have been landed and distributed in the neighbourhood. Needless to say, the fish have been most acceptable.

PEATS. – The use of peat as fuel here in the county seems to be on the decline. Many have changed over to coal entirely, while others are making a partial use of coal. This is owing to the lack of labour connected with peats and difficulties in transit. But for the force of circumstances, the home-produced fuel would still be preferred, and as many as find it possible to procure peat have been to the moors, to cut a winter’s supply. The turves are now spread over the banks, and the curing process is going on fairly well.

1943 July 21 Orkney Herald

£305,587 9s 5d


Just to hand are the final financial particulars of the Orkney Victory Wings accounts, showing the details in regard to each of the twenty-seven local target areas.

Mr Dickson, M.B.E., County General Treasurer of the scheme, has been enabled to send a total cheque for £305,587 9s 5d, as against the £140,000 aimed at. Every local target area exceeded its objective…..

[The folk of Rousay raised a total of £4,148 0s 3d, the original target being £1,000]

1943 August 25 Orkney Herald

GRACIE FIELDS IN ORKNEY. – Miss Gracie Fields, the theatrical star, paid another brief visit to the Orkney and Shetland Defences at the week-end. This was her second series of performances in the North, her first visit having taken place in June 1941.

ORKNEY RED CROSS. – Mr W. J. Heddle, Hon. Treasurer to the British Red Cross Society (Orkney Branch), begs to acknowledge, with sincere thanks, the following donation…..Proceeds of a dance held by the Home Guard, Rousay, per Mr David Gibson…..£3 12s 0d.

1943 September 1 Orkney Herald



A Ju. 88 which came in from the sea was shot down off a Northern Scottish island by A.A. gunners just before dusk last Wednesday.

It was brought down with 25 rounds in a one-minute action.

The raider came in at about 400 feet, and was instantly engaged. It quickly turned back with smoke pouring from it and crashed into the sea about six miles from the coast.

It was the first time these gunners had fired at an enemy aircraft for several months.

The Aberdeen “Press and Journal” account of the action states: –

There was a light anti-aircraft troop with Bofors guns on the island. Just before dusk on Wednesday the alarm went. The Ju., flying alone, was sighted 1000 ft. above the sea.

The troop commander, Lt. Reynolds, Exeter, a night mail train postal sorter between London and Carlisle in peace-time, hurriedly dropped a letter he had been writing to his wife and hurried out to direct fire. The cook and the batman manned the Lewis gun.

Less than a minute later the Ju. 88 had crashed into the sea six miles from the coast. It had been hit several times by Bofors shells.

The gunners stationed on the island are relieved about every three months. Their last opportunity of firing against the enemy occurred over two months ago.

In the future Home Guards may man the same type of guns in the defence of Scotland.

1943 September 8 Orkney Herald


On Friday, 3rd September, by the express wish of His Majesty, the whole nation was united in prayer. It was the King’s desire that prayer should be offered up so that “we should enter the fifth year of war with undiminished constancy of purpose,” and “to give thanks for the success already granted to our cause.”

Millions joined in the act of worship, and special day and evening services were held in every city, town and village from Orkney and Shetland to Penzance.

It can easily be imagined with what heartfelt gratitude the people of Britain gave praise to God when it is remembered that He and He alone, in His infinite mercy, watched over and guided us in our darkest hour as, in 1940, we stood alone to face the might and hatred of a nation of bestial fanatics whose only faith lies in brutality, torture and the rule of the jackboot.

Let us hope with all our hearts that on September 3rd, 1944, final victory over the most evil thing the human race has ever known will have been achieved, but at the same time, let us always have before us those stirring and beautiful lines of Rudyard Kipling: –

No easy hope or lies
Shall bring us to our goal,
But iron sacrifice
Of body, will and soul.
There is but one task for all –
For each one life to give,
Who stands if freedom fall
Who dies if Britain live?

1943 September 22 Orkney Herald

ROUSAY – NATIONAL BIBLE SOCIETY (ORKNEY AUXILLARY). – The hon. treasurer. Mr W. J. Heddle, solicitor, Kirkwall, begs to acknowledge the sum of £1 2s, being the amount collected for the current year in the island of Rousay on behalf of the above Society, and to thank Mrs Lily Miller, Wasbister Schoolhouse, and the following collectors, viz., Misses Nettie Marwick and Edna Clouston for their kind services.

1943 September 29 Orkney Herald


Battle of Britain Sunday (September 26) was commemorated at a special service in St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall, on Sunday morning at 10 o’clock.

The service was an all-Services one, and was attended by Mr Alfred Baikie of Tankerness, C.B., Lord Lieutenant of Orkney and Shetland, and Major-General J. N. Slater, General Officer Commanding the Orkney and Shetland defences, and other high-ranking Navy, Army and Air Force officers.

Royal Air Force personnel, as was fitting, were by far in the majority, and paraded to the service accompanied by a strong contingent of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force and the local unit of the Air Training Corps. Fleet Air Arm and Naval officers and men represented the Silent Service, and were accompanied by a Women’s Royal Naval Service contingent. A full company of a Scottish regiment, headed by their very fine pipe band, also paraded.

The R.A.F., W.A.A.F. and A.T.C. contingent, numbering in the vicinity of 500 all told, was led by the silver band of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, which is still on tour in Orkney and which, it will be remembered, gave a very fine orchestral concert in Paterson Church, Kirkwall (along with the church choir), and another in Stromness just over a week ago.

The Servicemen and Servicewomen were accommodated on Sunday morning in three rows of three seats abreast the whole length of the Cathedral – khaki in the centre, R.A.F. blue on one side and Navy blue on the other – producing a very striking effect.

Special prayers at the service included one minute’s silence for those who had given their lives in the Battle of Britain, and hymns sung are known and loved by all – “Immortal, Invisible,” “Praise, My Soul,” “The King of Love my Shepherd is,” and “Fight the Good Fight.” The scripture lesson and the short address was in keeping with the special occasion, and the service terminated with the National Anthem. A collection was uplifted in aid of the R.A.F. Benevolent Fund. The service lasted about three-quarters of an hour.

After the service, the various units formed up in front of the Cathedral, in Broad Street, and at the side in Dundas Crescent. The R.A.F., W.A.A.F., and A.T.C. contingent marched off first, again led by the A. & S.H. Band, and – in a different direction – the Navymen and Wrens were started off with the skirl of the Highlanders’ pipes, who afterwards headed their own company through part of the town.

The whole parade and service was an impressive one but, from a local point of view, it was unfortunate that the local Civil Defence Service was not invited to take part.

1943 October 20 Orkney Herald

“GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN….” – Last Thursday was a melancholy anniversary for Orkney. Four years ago, on October 14, 1939, the newly-overhauled “Royal Oak” was sunk in Scapa Flow by a submarine. It has never been made really clear how the U-boat managed to enter Scapa Flow, nor is it likely to be now until after the war.

Though an old one, the Royal Oak was a fine ship, and the eight hundred and ten men who were lost with her were of Britain’s best.

Among the casualties were one or two Orcadians, and it is to their memory, and to the memory of every other mother’s son who made the supreme sacrifice that day, that these lines are dedicated.

“Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for another.”


EVIE – HARVESTING. – Harvest work is now far advanced, and the end is in sight. A big push last week effected a quick march forward. Acres of uncut grain fell to the reaper and fields of stooks were cleared. Rows of huge stacks now appear in the corn yards and in the open. ln another week, granted good weather, the farmer should see the fruits of his labour safely stored.

1943 November 3 Orkney Herald

EVIE – SILLOCKS. – Sillocks are plentiful round our shores at present. They are in grand condition, big and fat, and every opportunity is taken to get to sea in pursuit of these fine little fish, which are so acceptable these days of fish scarcity. Some heavy catches have been brought in, and there has been a general distribution through the district.

THE HARVEST ENDS. – The crops have now been safely gathered and the harvest has proved most satisfactory. There is ample evidence of good grain and good bulk, the large number of huge, healthy coloured stacks spread over the fields, presenting a veritable cornucopia of the earth’s yield. To look round and see this rich abundance is to rejoice and give thanks.

1943 December 15 Orkney Herald

WYRE – NATIONAL BIBLE SOCIETY – ORKNEY AUXILLARY. – The hon. treasurer, Mr W. J. Heddle, Kirkwall, begs to acknowledge the sum of 15s., being the amount collected for the current year in the island of Viera on behalf of the above Society, and to thank Mr William Craigie, Russness, the collector, for his kind services.