1920 January 7 Orkney Herald
ROUSAY – SCHOOL CONCERT. – The children of Wasbister Public School held a concert on Christmas night. In spite of the snowfall there was a good attendance, over which Rev. D. H. Brown, M.A., presided. Santa Claus was present, who distributed gifts from the Christmas-tree to the children, and tea with refreshments was provided by a committee of ladies. The children had most of the programme to themselves, and under the direction of their teacher, Miss Anna May Cooper, acquitted themselves with credit. They acted the children’s play, “Cinderella,” and made it, with its songs, dances, fairies and droll love making, a thing of beauty. Mrs Sharp, as accompanist, helped especially to make the meeting successful, and was well supported by the violinists, Messrs Craigie and Clouston, and by Mr Hugh Sinclair as soloist. At the close of the meeting Mr Brown expressed the hope that the educational authorities would soon – among other pressing claims – provide all schools with a small American organ, which would give both secular and sacred music a chance at the right time and in the right place. It would also help rural folks to add to the sum of their interests, and to fight successfully with monotony and the long winter darkness.
COLLECTION FOR SHIPWRECKED FISHERMEN AND MARINERS’ SOCIETY. – With reference to the recent collection made in Rousay, Egilshay and Veira on behalf of the above society, the local secretary has received the following acknowledgment from the head office in London: – “18th Dec. 1919 – Dear Sir, – Whilst enclosing formal receipt, I write to express to you, and to all concerned, my committee’s special thanks for the very successful collections carried out recently, which were as follows: – Frotoft and Brinian district, £4 5s; Sourin, £2 14s 6d; Wasbister, £1 12s; Egilshay, £1 13s 3d; Veira, £1 3s 6d – total, £11 8s 3d. We shall be glad if you will make our gratitude known to the public. – I remain, dear sir, yours faithfully, Gerald E. Maude, secy.”
1920 January 14 Orkney Herald
We understand that Dr W. L Paterson, who is practicing at present in Rousay, has purchased the house on Victoria Street, Kirkwall, belonging to Dr R. P. Heddle, and is to commence practice in Kirkwall and vicinity this week. Dr Paterson is a son of John Paterson, M.D., a well-known medical man in Glasgow, and saw three years’ active service is France in the war in the Royal Army Medical Corps, when he was awarded the Military Cross for bravery and devotion to duty.
ROUSAY – ENTERTAINMENT BY SCHOOL CHILDREN. – Miss [Mary Ann] Sinclair, teacher, Frotoft School, with her willing helpers, reached a good level, and scored a splendid success with the social and entertainment held and given last Friday evening in the schoolroom. Though snow was plentiful on hill, road, and in valley, there was a large turnout of children, parents and friends, many coming a long distance. Frotoft School has earned a good reputation in the parish for big endeavours in the way of entertainment, and the children maintained their reputation, and throughout the evening went through their performance with flying colours. Within the schoolroom, suitable scenery, colour, variety, and cheer were in evidence. During the performance and entertainment the children were dressed in costumes and adornments suitable to nation, song, drama, and even recitations. The continual change and variety revealed in arrangement and active, artistic mind; the mind of the audience was captivated, interested, appreciative. The whole entertainment revealed the careful, up-to-date work of Miss Sinclair and her assistants. In articulation, exactness, acting, manners, the children, who carried through the whole performance like figures and parts of a drama, were all that could be desired. They did their work splendidly. The Rev. J. Deas Logie, parish minister, who presided as chairman, made no set speech, but was racy, and in remark and story full of wit and humour. Before and after each item presented, he picked out and emphasised the varied features of each part presented. Mr Deas Logie called for votes of thanks for Miss Sinclair, the committee, the children, and for Mrs Harrold, who presided at the piano. Mr James Gibson, Hullion, in good form, referred to the excellent chairmanship of the minister, and called for a hearty cheer. All the votes of thanks were cordially given. The following programme was carried through: –
Prologue, Minna Reid; song, “The Meeting of the Waters,” scholars; Scandinavian dance, Kathleen Gibson and Maggie Reid; recitation, “The Schoolboy’s Lament,” James Craigie; song and chorus, “Banks o’ Loch Lomond,” Jessie Mainland and scholars; recitation, “Jack and Jill,” infants; song, “Down Rathmin Lane,” scholars; debate, “To Smoke or Not to Smoke,” boys; recitation, “At the Party,” Anna Reid; song, “Happy Little Japs,” four girls; recitation, “When Pa Begins to Shave,” James Smith; song, “The Wonderful Inn,” scholars; recitation, “Occupations,” six girls; song, “The Scottish Bluebells,” scholars; military drill; sketch, “The New Bonnet,” four girls; interval, tea; duet, “l’se gwine down to Dixie.” James and John Craigie; play, “Dick Whittington”; closing speech, Billy Gibson.
EGILSHAY – WELCOME HOME TO EX-SERVICE MEN. – The first day of the year was the day chosen by Egilshay on which to honour local men who had rendered service in the war, by giving them a public welcome home. Of the twelve men of this island who went forth to do their part in upholding the cause of right and justice, only one was called upon to make the supreme sacrifice, and special feelings of thankfulness for so many spared, and of sympathy with the bereaved family were called up by this event. The arrangements were in the hands of a capable committee, and everything was done to ensure the success of the entertainment. Of the fifteen invitations issued, to service men and their wives, eleven were accepted. Mr Shepherd, U.F. Manse, occupied the chair, and Mrs Shepherd acted as hostess. At 5.30 p.m. the large company who had gathered in the school room sat down to tea, service men and their wives having a special table, tastefully decorated with flowers and holly, and laden with seasonable dainties. After tea, Mr Shepherd made a speech of welcome to the men, giving a short historical account of the events in Germany leading up to the Great War, and expressing the gratitude of all to those who had rendered so great service to mankind in helping to quell the spirit of militarism and selfish aggrandisement which had prompted its inception. Thereafter a morocco leather pocket-book, with initials and the following inscription: – “From Egilshay, in recognition of service rendered in the Great War, 1914-1919,” was handed to each man by Mrs Shepherd. Mr T. Mainland replied on behalf of the men, thanking Mr Shepherd for his kind speech of welcome and the people of Egilshay for their gifts and entertainment. A short musical programme was then rendered, four-part songs being sung by a choir, and solos by Mrs Shepherd, Mr W. Mainland, Miss Bews, and Miss Mainland; and a duet by Mr E. Seator and Mr H. Bews. As a compliment to the soldiers, nearly all the songs chosen were of war subjects. After votes of thanks to the chairman, Mr Shepherd, the committee, and the singers, the room was prepared for dancing. This part of the entertainment was much enjoyed by the younger members of the company, and kept up very heartily till the early hours of the morning. It was found that the plentiful supply of eatables procured by the funds collected for the purpose, and also by extra gifts of home-baked dainties from the ladies of the island, were not nearly exhausted at this entertainment. The remainder was therefore handed over to the guests of the evening – the Service-men – to use as they wished. An entertainment of a similar kind was given by them on the following evening, older people and children being specially Invited. Both entertainments were most successful, and reflected great credit on the committee in charge of all the arrangements.
1920 January 28 Orkney Herald
THE SCARLET FEVER EPIDEMIC. – A special meeting of Kirkwall Town Council was held last Thursday for the purpose of considering the inadequate hospital accommodation consequent upon the scarlet fever epidemic. It was reported that as a temporary expedient the Scapa Seaplane Station had been secured as a hospital. The matter of infection was also gone into, when it was decided not to let the Town Hall for dances after Saturday, 24th inst. The epidemic, which has been prevalent in Kirkwall for some time, appears to be spreading to the outlying districts, outbreaks having occurred in St Ola. Scapa School had to be closed on Monday, 19th inst., for a fortnight through the non-attendance of the scholars. The school will be re-opened on Monday, 2nd February.
1920 February 11 Orkney Herald
ROUSAY – WAR MEMORIAL. – The people in Rousay have not been behind their co-inhabitants in the parishes of Orkney in consideration of a memorial to the memory of the young men who died in active service during the late war. The parish of Rousay and Egilshay had a considerable quota of fallen, and a memorial with suitable inscription of the names of the lads engraved is to take the form of a monument. The design of the monument shows at summit a Celtic cross raised on a base of four steps with a scroll on which will be inscribed the names of the fallen soldiers. At a public meeting some months ago, a large representative committee was appointed. Mr John Logie, Trumland House, was appointed convener, while Mr James G. Craigie, merchant, Wasbister, was appointed secretary and treasurer. Egilshay islanders having decided to erect a memorial in memory of the lad belonging to that island who died in active service, Rousay and Veira were divided into four districts for the purpose of collecting contributions to the memorial fund. The result of the collection was: – Frotoft and Brinian, £48 16s 2d; Manse, including Avelshay to Sourin, £102 7s; Wasbister, £36 14s; Veira, £I2 10s; from outside sources, about £40 – in all, £240 – a very substantial contribution. At a public meeting held recently, and which was largely attended, Mr John Logie, chairman, on the report of the result of the collection and appeal, which was read by Mr James G. Craigie, treasurer, the Rev. J. Deas Logie, parish minister, in speaking to the report, congratulated the Memorial Committee on the results attending their effort, and also the parishioners on their liberal response to the Memorial Fund. Mr Craigie was also thanked for his work as secretary and treasurer. On the motion of the chairman, the Rev. J. Deas Logie and the Rev. D. S. Brown were appointed auditors for the purpose of auditing the accounts, &c , in connection with the memorial scheme. The minute of previous meeting bearing out a declaration to erect the monument on ground known as “The Plantings,” the chairman presented a sketch plan of the portion of ground, with three steps leading up to the level, and surrounded by a railing five feet In height. As the sketch plan was in draft and provisional and subject to addition or modification, the Rev. J. Deas Logie moved that, instead of a temporary railing, a wall two and a half feet high be built, and a railing two and a half feet, properly stayed, be inserted in the wall. This alteration would tend towards stability and permanence. Rev. D. S. Brown seconded. With this alteration, the meeting unanimously adopted the plan. The Memorial Committee, on the motion of the minister, were granted authority and full powers to spend the money in the erection of the memorial monument. The hope was expressed that suitable religious services would be held in connection with the unveiling and dedication ceremony. On the suggestion of Mr John Logie, chairman of meeting, who recognised the importance of a devotional spirit in that connection, it was remitted to the Memorial Committee to make all necessary preparations. It was understood that the Parish Council would accept the work of preservation of the monument. A vote of thanks to the chairman for presiding concluded the proceedings.
FEVER EPIDEMIC IN KIRKWALL – OPENING OF AN EMERGENCY HOSPITAL. – For several months past Kirkwall has been suffering from an epidemic of scarlet fever, and so numerous have been the cases that the fever ward of Balfour Hospital has been unable to accommodate all those – mostly young people – who have contracted the malady. Fortunately the type of fever is a mild one, and there have been very few serious cases. Faced with such a disquieting state of things, which is having a deleterious effect on the trade of the town, the Local Authority recognised the desirability of procuring an emergency hospital wherein patients could be put during the period of convalescence and thereby make room in the fever ward of Balfour Hospital for fresh cases. After some negotiations with the Government, the officers’ quarters, which were vacated at Scapa Seaplane Station, were secured. This large erection was found to be eminently suited for the purpose, and work was at once begun to have it transferred into a hospital, with the result that on Saturday last it was ready for occupation, and on Sunday 14 patients were conveyed from Kirkwall to their new quarters at Scapa…..
1920 February 18 Orkney Herald
FISHING. – There was not much improvement in the weather conditions last week, consequently the catches landed at Kirkwall were again on a small scale. On Thursday two boats had between two and three cwt. of halibut. One boat had a trial for hand-line cod, but only got about half-a-dozen. Her non-success is attributed to the fact that from a dozen to twenty trawlers may be seen at one time on the inshore grounds trawling away as if there were no three-mile limit. Up till a week or two ago there were plenty of fish to be got on these grounds. There were a few crans of herrings and mackerel landed by drifters, which fetched from £2 to £4 per cran.
1920 March 10 Orkney Herald
THE WEATHER. – For some weeks back the weather has been very unsettled, with occasional high winds from the south and west. Last Saturday evening was bright and clear, and did not give any forecast of a change on the morrow. Early on Sunday morning, however, the wind veered round to the north and a gale sprang up accompanied with heavy showers of snow. At daybreak the ground was covered with snow, and the cold was intense. The wind, which abated somewhat during the day, was, however, still strong, and snow showers were frequent. Towards evening a keen frost set in, which lasted throughout the night. Some snow fell during Monday forenoon. The weather is still cold but seasonable. A number of fishing trawlers were compelled to take shelter in Kirkwall Bay over the week end.
NEW KIND OF FUEL. – A consignment of the famous compressed peat fuel has been landed ex St Clair at Kirkwall for Mr James F. Shearer, coal merchant. This is the first of its kind landed in Orkney, and should help considerably to reduce the coal bill. We understand it is very suitable for all classes of domestic purposes. It may be used with advantage in a kitchen range after the day’s cooking is over. Perhaps its chief advantage is that it is most suitable for open grates, as it is clean, burns with a clear flame, and produces great heat with a minimum amount of ash.
1920 March 24 Orkney Herald
ROUSAY – MEMORIAL SERVICE. – The Rev. J. Deas Logie, in the Parish Church on 8unday, 14th inst., conducted a special memorial service to the memory of the late Mr Hugh Munro [Old School, Sourin], whose services as precentor in the worship of the Parish Church were much appreciated. Mr Munro was becoming a valuable asset in the leadership of the praise when he was laid aside by serious illness. For over a year he bore his illness with fortitude and Christian resignation, knowing that for him life on earth could not be long, and, realising that, he strengthened mind and heart for the time of parting. Mr Munro was a comparatively young man, and throughout the parish much sympathy has been felt for relatives and at his call in the glory of manhood. His remains, which were laid to rest in the Parish Churchyard, close by the sanctuary where he used to lead the praise, were attended to the grave by a large company. In the absence of the parish minister, who was attending church committees in Edinburgh, Rev. D. S. Brown, U.F. minister, conducted the funeral services. In the Parish Church Rev. J. Deas Logie took as his subject Paul’s analysis of the spiritual and natural laws controlling the spiritual body and natural body. He preached a searching sermon. All the other parts of the service were impressive and memorable. Mr Robert Lyon, elder, led the praise with feeling and appropriate spirit.
FARMERS AND THE BEER DUTY. – A constituent having written Mr Cathcart Wason, M.P. [for Orkney and Shetland], in regard to a farmer’s liability for beer duty on the brewing of home-brewed ale and the hardship of having to pay this duty on beer brewed for their farm labourers and harvest hands, Mr Wason brought the matter before the authorities. He has now received the following reply: – “A farmer may brew beer for his own domestic use, and may supply such of his farm labourers as lodge in his house with part of the beer so brewed for consumption to the ordinary course of their domestic board. If, however, he brews beer for other labourers employed on his farm, liability to beer duty on the beer brewed would be incurred, but the license duty would be at the 4-shilling rate.”
1920 March 31 Orkney Herald
SUMMER-TIME AGAIN. – Summer time came into operation at two o’clock on Sunday morning, and will continue until September 27th. Forgetfulness to put up the clock was not general in Kirkwall; but there were at least one or two lapses. For instance, a certain dairyman was an hour late in delivering his milk to householders in the forenoon. Another gentleman from the country arrived at church in the afternoon, just – as he thought – at the commencement of the service. The congregation was singing a hymn. Imagine the aforesaid gentleman’s feelings when, at the close of the hymn, the benediction was pronounced!
1920 April 7 Orkney Herald
ROUSAY – CALL TO THE REV. J. DEAS LOGIE. – The congregation of Farr Parish Church, Thurso, has addressed a call to the Rev. J. Deas Logie, minister of Rousay and Egilshay. The call has been accepted. The appointment has been sustained by the Presbytery. Mr Deas Logie, who has been in Orkney over three years, has done some hard work in connection with the vacant parish churches in the North Isles Presbytery, and has interested himself in educational and other public matters. He also takes a keen interest in the Committee and Assembly work of the Church of Scotland. Before coming to Orkney, the Rev. gentleman was a minister in Kirkcaldy, and at Kinglassie, Fifeshire, his native county, and prior to that held assistantships in important congregations in Leith, Falkirk, and Paisley. By the passing of the ministers of Shapinsay and Rousay to the mainland, all the parish churches within the bounds of the North Isles will have undergone a change of minister, by translation to other parishes, within two years except Stronsay, which is vacant by the retirement of Rev. Mr Dempster.
1920 May 19 Orkney Herald
FIREMASTER INKSTER. – The current issue of Municipal Engineering and the Sanitary Record, in one of a series of articles on “Some Municipal Fire Brigade Chiefs,” contains a biographical sketch by Firemaster William Inkster, Aberdeen. The article describes in racy style the varied and adventurous career of Mr Inkster, and congratulates him on being the first officer to introduce motor fire-fighting apparatus to Scotland. Owing to war conditions, it is pointed out that the Aberdeen equipment is not yet up to requirements, but he may be relied upon to see that existing deficiencies are made good at the earliest possible moment. “Mr Inkster,” the sketch concludes, “has had 23 years’ experience as leader, organiser, and commander of men, and his motto, “Discipline, not tyranny,” has served him in good stead, and earned him the high reputation and respect which he so worthily enjoys.” The article is illustrated by a characteristic photograph of Mr Inkster in uniform and wearing his medals.
ROUSAY – PRAISE SERVICE AND PRESENTATION. – The choir of Trumland U.F. Church held a praise service there on Sabbath afternoon, May 9. The minister presided, and Mr George Gibson, J.P., Avelshay, conducted. There was a good attendance, and also a fairly good collection, which was in aid of the scheme for improving the congregational contribution to the Central Fund. The choir carried through a programme of music in a pleasing and efficient way. At the close, the presentation of a purse with Treasury notes was made by Mr John Logie, J.P., in a happily worded speech, to Mrs J. Harrold, Rose Cottage, who for a number of years did much hard and voluntary service as organist, and who is leaving Rousay. Mr Gibson, as conductor, replied suitably on her behalf. This is the second presentation which she has received during the year, the previous one having been made by the choir on the occasion of her marriage. A helpful and interesting meeting was brought to a close by the choir singing the threefold Amen after the benediction.
1920 May 29 The Scotsman
ORKNEY AND SHETLAND. THE ORKNEYS – The highly attractive sporting and residential estate of Rousay is for sale. The Estate comprises the ISLANDS of ROUSAY, VEIRA, and the HOLM OF SCOCKNESS, and extends in all to about 12,000 Acres. The Gross Rental, including the Assessed Rentals of Mansion-House and sporting rights, is about £2200. The annual burdens may be stated at £700. The Island of Rousay is about 18 miles in circumference. It forms one of the best sporting estates in the Orkneys, including excellent grouse and wildfowl shooting, very fine sea trout and brown trout fishing, and good sea fishing. There are also splendid yachting facilities. There is a commodious and well-built Mansion-House, and a beautifully situated Shooting Lodge. The Furnishings in these Houses can be taken over by a purchaser. Applications for further particulars, &c., may be made to the Subscribers. MACKENZIE & KERMACK, W.S., 9 Hill Street, Edinburgh.
1920 June 16 Orkney Herald
AN ENTERPRISING ORCADIAN IN KILMARNOCK. – The property belonging to Mr J. P. Davie, known as Craighead Spinning Mill, Craighead House, grounds, and cottages, situated at Townholm, Kilmarnock, has been sold by Messrs Smith & Wallace, by private treaty, to Mr Alex. A. Marwick, 124 St Vincent Street, Glasgow. We understand that plans for an up-to-date spinning and dying mill are now being prepared, and hopes are entertained that the first section of the work will be completed by August and the other section will be erected so soon as there are prospects of being able to get delivery of the latest spinning and dyeing machinery. The Mr Alex. A. Marwick referred to is the only son of the late Mr and Mrs John Marwick, Midgarth, Rousay, Orkney.
[Alexander Allardice Marwick left Rousay as a young man, and according to Robert Craigie Marwick in his book Rousay Roots, he was a shadowy sort of figure, spending most of his life in Glasgow. The house at Midgarth, which was a small thatched cottage, came into his hands after his sister May died. “The Duke,” as he was nicknamed because of the airs and graces he adopted, had the old house demolished, and a large two-storey one erected in its place. He ran out of funds before all his plans were completed, and the house was never occupied, except for short holiday periods. No one in Rousay seems to have known the source of Alexander’s apparent wealth – nor how he lost it. At one time he owned several farms in Sourin, including Gorehouse, Banks, Hurtiso, and Scockness. A subsequent owner removed the roof of Midgarth to be used elsewhere, and the walls were demolished at about the same time.]
1920 June 23 Orkney Herald
THE WEATHER, which during the last days of May and first week of June had been of a March-like severity, took a seasonable turn a fortnight ago, and Orkney had the unusual experience of a succession of days with 18 hours of cloudless sky and brilliant sunshine. Last Thursday the wind, which had been blowing freshly from the eastward, veered to the south, and the highest June temperature since 1911 was recorded. On Saturday and Sunday the wind increased almost to gale force, with some fog and rain on the latter day, which, however, was too slight to be of much benefit to vegetation, which is beginning to show signs of the long-continued drought. On Monday and Tuesday summer conditions again prevailed.
ROUSAY – TWO SACRAMENTAL SERVICES. – On Sunday, 13th inst., in the U F. Church of Trumland, the Rev. Alex. Goodfellow, South Ronaldshay, assisted the minister, Rev. J. S. Brown, by preaching and dispensing the Communion. The day was fine and the turn-out of the people was good. In the evening Mr Goodfellow also preached and dispensed the Lord’s Supper in the church at Egilshay to a good congregation.
FOUR MISSIONARY MEETINGS. – Mrs Goodfellow during the past week addressed four different meetings on behalf of the Women’s Foreign Mission. In Sourin Church, on Sabbath evening, the Rev. Mr Brown presided and introduced Mrs Goodfellow, who gave an interesting address on missions, and advocated the great need for the Church to do more; on Tuesday the island of Veira was visited, when Mr and Mrs Goodfellow addressed a meeting in the island; on Wednesday another meeting was held in Wasbister School; and on Thursday as excellent meeting was held in Egilshay. Very good collections were taken up at all the meetings – £3 10s in all.
1920 June 30 Orkney Herald
ROUSAY – SCHOOL PICNIC AND PRESENTATION. – The children of Wasbister School held their annual picnic on June 18th in a field at Langskaill. As the weather was sunny, and the picnic committee had made suitable arrangements, a pleasant afternoon was spent by the children and their friends. The children competed in the usual sports, and also some of the grown-ups for special events. Refreshments were served on this field, and also tea in the playground at the close. The prizes were distributed by Mrs Brown, Sourin Manse. Thereafter the young folks of Wasbister called upon Rev. D. S. Brown to present Miss [Anna May] Cooper, school-mistress, in their name, with a handbag and two bronze vases of beautiful design, as a token of the esteem in which she is held by everybody, in appreciation of her readiness to help in all worthy schemes, and especially in those efforts which sought to promote the comfort and welfare of the young men who fought in the Great War. After Miss Cooper had suitably replied the usual dance was held in the school, to the accompaniment of violin, piano, and pipes.
1920 August 18 Orkney Herald
ROUSAY CATTLE SHOW. – The entries for the Rousay Agricultural Society’s show, which was held at Banks, Sourin, on Tuesday last, were again small, but the quality was of a good all-round standard in both the horse and cattle sections. The weather was of a disagreeable nature, being dull and showery; but, despite these untoward circumstances, the show-yard was visited during the day by a large number of people. A special trip with passengers was made from Kirkwall to Sourin by the s.s. Countess of Bantry. The judges were: – Messrs W. Corrigall, Northbigging, Harray; A. Petrie, St Andrews; and J. lnkster, East Heddle, Firth. Annexed is the prize-list: –
CATTLE. – Polled Cows – 1 G. Gibson, Avelshay; 2, 3 and highly commended T. Inkster, Nearhouse; commended John Corsie, Knarston. Shorthorn Cows – 1 Mrs Reid, Wasdale; 2 A. C. Gibson, Bigland; 3 J. Gibson, Faraclett; hc R. Seatter, Banks. Two-year-old Polled Queys – 1 and 3 A. C. Gibson; 2 J. Corsie, hc and c J. Gibson. One-year-old Polled Queys – 1 and 2 A. C. Gibson, 3 T. Inkster, hc J. Craigie, Glebe; c J. Gibson, Faraclett. One-year-old Shorthorn Queys – 1 J. Craigie. One-year-old Polled Stots – 1 and 2 T. Inkster, 3 and hc J. Gibson, c John Craigie. One-year-old Shorthorn Steers – 1 James Inkster, Woo. Calves – 1 A. C. Gibson, 2 G. Gibson, 3 J. Corsie, hc and c J. Gibson.
HORSES. – Draught Geldings – 1 Co-operative Society. Yeld Mares – 1 T. Inkster, 2 R. Seatter, Banks; 3 J. Corsie, hc H. Gibson, Oldman; c G. Gibson. Mares with foal at foot – 1 J. Craigie, 2 J. Corsie, 3 J. Gibson. Foals – 1 J. Craigie, 2 J. Corsie, 3 J. Gibson. Three-year old Geldings – 1 D. Gibson, Langskaill; 2 A. C. Gibson, 3 G. Gibson. Three-year-old Fillies – 1 J. Corsie, 2 J. Scott, Hurtiso; 3 H Gibson. Two-year-old Geldings – 1 T. Inkster, 2 R. Seatter, 3 D. Gibson. Two-year-old Fillies – 1 and 2 J. Corsie. One year-old Geldings – 1 T. Inkster. One-year-old Fillies – 1 G. Gibson, 2 T. Inkster, 3 A. C. Gibson, hc J Craigie, c R Seatter.
SPECIAL PRIZES. – Messrs Reith & Anderson’s prize for Best Pair of Year-old Cattle – A. C. Gibson. Medal for Best Cow in Yard – G. Gibson. Board of Agriculture prize for Two-year-old Queys – 1 and 3 A. C. Gibson, 2 J. Corsie. Highland Society’s Medal for Two-year-old Queys – A. C. Gibson. Medal for Best Gelding in Yard – Rousay Co-operative Society. Best Mare in Yard – T. Inkster. Special Prize for Best Showing Animal in Horse Section – G. Gibson.
SHEEP. – Ewes – 1 and 3 J. Corsie, 2 R. Seatter. Lambs – 1 and 3 J. Corsie, 2 R. Seatter.
1920 September 8 Orkney Herald
THE STORM. – Following a period of very fine weather, a storm of high velocity broke out on Saturday morning, and continued with unabated violence until late in the evening. The wind, which was from the west, was accompanied with heavy rain, but towards evening veered to the north. Havoc was wrought in gardens and allotments, where vegetables, &c., were torn and twisted, and in many cases utterly ruined. A number of boats in the harbour dragged their moorings, and were in danger of being dashed to pieces, but, with willing assistance, the owners managed to get them hauled up on the pier. The St Rognvald, which arrived from Aberdeen in the morning, lay in the harbour all day, and did not proceed to Shetland until the gale abated. The Amelia, from Leith, had a very stormy passage crossing the Moray Firth, and arrived in Kirkwall shortly before midnight, being 7 hours over the usual time taken for the voyage.
1920 September 15 Orkney Herald
ROUSAY – PICNIC. – The school children of Veira, Wasbister, Frotoft, and Sourin, along with their teachers and some friends assembled in the grounds of Trumland House for a picnic on August 31st, at 3 p.m., being invited by Dr and Mrs Barty King, who are at present residing there. The weather was enjoyable and the children were in high spirits. Abundant refreshments were served before and after the sports, and the programme was carried through with great eagerness and friendly rivalry by the children of the four schools. At the close the prizes were distributed by Mrs Barty King. Thereafter three hearty cheers were called for by Rev. D. S. Brown and were given to Dr King and to Mrs King, and also to the Trumland people for their kindness, and for the orderly way in which all arrangements were carried out, which brought to a close a social event which, by the agreement of those who were present, was felt to be the best of its kind for many years in this place…..
1920 October 6 Orkney Herald
STORM – DELAY IN SHIPPING. – The weather, which, for a lengthened period, has been very fine, took a turn for the worse during the middle of last week. A steady fall in the barometer, with darkened sky, gave indications of a coming storm. The wind, which was south-east, began gradually to gain in force, and culminated on Saturday in one of the wildest storms which has been experienced in Orkney for some time. On Saturday the wind blew all day with gale force, increasing in intensity on Sunday and Monday, and a very heavy sea was running. The North of Scotland Company’s steamer St Ninian, which left Kirkwall on Saturday morning for Aberdeen, had to take shelter in Inganess Bay, from which place she returned to Kirkwall pier on Sunday afternoon, and still remains there. The s.s. St Rognvald, belonging to the same company, left Kirkwall on Saturday afternoon for Lerwick, and, after a rough passage, arrived there on Sunday morning, but was unable to make the pier until Monday afternoon. There was no communication with Kirkwall or Scapa by sea on Monday, and the town was entirely without sea-borne mails that day. A number of trawlers have also, through the stress of weather, taken shelter in Kirkwall harbour. There is to-day (Tuesday) some abatement in the gale; but, as there is no appearance of the sea running down, the St Ninian still remains in harbour. The mail steamer St Ola has, however, left Scapa with the Orkney mails on board for Scrabster.
“POOTIE” AND SILLOCK FISHING IN KIRKWALL BAY. – While fishing for “pooties” from a boat anchored off Kirkwall Pier last, Wednesday evening, a cod weighing 6 lbs. was hooked and brought on board. There is a run of small codlings (or “pooties”) at present in Kirkwall Bay, and excellent sport is being obtained by amateur fishermen, who bring ashore hauls of from two to four scores nightly when the weather is suitable. Sillocks are also plentiful, and takes ranging up to 15 scores have been got by rod and fly.
1920 November 17 Orkney Herald
THE WEEK OF REMEMBRANCE. – The week of remembrance carried the mind of the nation back to the conclusion of the Great War, in which this country had 762,749 killed, 275,301 missing, and 2,110,659 wounded. In the heart of the Empire the solemn observance of Armistice Day has been marked by the unveiling of the Cenotaph in Whitehall by the King, and the burial in Westminster Abbey of the remains of an unknown soldier killed in the war. In the four and a half years during which the struggle went on, all classes made equal sacrifices for victory, but, in the main, the war was won by the fidelity and courage of the common soldier, and the inflexible resolution of the common citizen. It is therefore right and fitting that due honour should be paid to the memory of a plain and undistinguished warrior, who, by giving his all to save his country, is worthy to rest among our noblest dead in Westminster Abbey. ln the churches, also, on Sunday, there were tributes to the memory of the dead, and thanksgiving for deliverance from the horrors of war. To those who gave up their lives we can pay naught but reverence, but the nation also owes a debt to the living, and it is something of a national reproach that two years after the war we should have more than 250,000 ex-service men unplaced in industry, and without work. In 1914 and 1915 definite promises were made to many of these men that they would be re-established in civil life after the war, and not until those promises have been wholly redeemed can the nation be said to have discharged its solemn obligations. A third extension of the out-of-work donation by the State carries on the payment of a weekly allowance to ex-Service men until the end of next March, but it is not doles or charity that are wanted, but efforts on the part of the State and private employers to find permanent work for those who served in the war…..
1920 December 8 Orkney Herald
CITIZEN’S LAPSE OF MEMORY. – In this enlightened age, one could hardly credit the idea of anyone mistaking the days of the week. Yet we are told that a citizen of Kirkwall was seen hurrying up to church last Saturday, dressed in his Sunday clothes. Arrived at the church gate and finding it closed, he took off his hat, scratched his head, and stood in a brown study for a moment or two. Apparently realising that he had made a mistake, he looked furtively around to see if he had been observed, and then hurriedly took his departure homewards. Needless to say the man is a bachelor.
1920 December 29 Orkney Herald
The weather in Orkney during the Christmas season has been of a most atrocious character. All through last week – with the exception of Thursday, when a short spell of frost set in – high winds and rain made the days dismal and dark, and gave one little pleasure to be out of doors. However, Christmas shopping had to be done, and the brilliantly-lit windows, with their profusions of dainty and useful goods, made tempting appeals to the eye, and there was no Iack of variety to choose from; but money is not so plentiful as in the years that are past – Kirkwall, like other places in the south, is suffering from the reaction after the war – and the buying of merely ornamental articles seemed not to be much in evidence; the Christmas gift this year, as a rule, consisted of something that would be of service to the recipient – not an article of luxury only. However, while some shopkeepers say that trade on the whole has been fairly good, others lament that they have done very little in the way of drawing extra customers.
When every shopkeeper has done his level best to display his wares to advantage, it would be unfair to particularise, be critical in our remarks, or to draw comparisons. With very few exceptions, these displays are on the lines of those of former years. One of the most notable exceptions, however, is that to be seen in one of the windows of Messrs Cumming & Spence, bakers and grocers, Albert Street. This particular window is a great attraction, particularly to children. Seated around a table loaded with dainties are three figures representing children. One – Mabel – is the hostess; the other two are her guests. They are gracefully sipping their tea from the daintiest of china cups. The following dialogue ensues; – “O, what lovely dainties we have got,” says one young lady, and the other replies, “Yes, aren’t they? Where did you get them from, Mabel?” “Ma got them from Cumming & Spence’s,” replies Mabel, “and the says none can beat them.” The conception and carrying out of this pretty display was, we understand, the work of one of the firm’s girl assistants.
Rain fell heavily during the forenoon and afternoon of Christmas Eve, but cleared up somewhat in the evening. The streets, however, were sloppy, the air raw and cold; and the great bulk of the citizens preferred the comforts of the fireside to promenading the streets…..
MEN’S BA’ – DOWN-THE-GATES TRIUMPH. – The great event of the day was the men’s ba’. As the hour of one o’clock drew near, all pathways led to the Broad Street. Last Christmas the ba’ was won by the Down-the-Gates, and there was a rumour afloat that an extra effort was to be made by the Up-the-Gates to turn the tables upon their opponents this year. To view the tussle a great crowd had gathered at every vantage place on the Broad Street. Both sides were out in great strength, and it was evident before the start that there was to be an immense trial of strength. Punctually as the Cathedral clock struck the hour the ba’ was tossed from the Market Cross, but it never reached the ground, as a forest of hands was held up to catch it in mid air. Then commenced a struggle grim and great. For an hour and three-quarters the crowd swayed first a yard or two below the cross, then up above it for the same distance. The sides were so equally matched in strength – there must have been several hundreds engaged in the struggle – that it was evident that victory depended upon the side who had the most endurance, as there were no fresh players to draw upon. Early in the struggle there was seen coming up the street a band of Christy Minstrels. They had been landed from H.M. telegraph steamer Alert, anchored in the bay, and had apparently come ashore bent upon putting some life into what they thought was a sleepy town. They stood for a moment looking at the swaying, surging crowd; then one or two of them ventured to take part in the game; but little of it satisfied them. Such a game is only for the Sons of the Vikings; and the slim, willowy Englishmen are not built to endure such a strain as was entailed on those who battled on Christmas Day for the time-honoured trophy. As we said, the struggle lasted on the Broad Street for an hour and three quarters. At this time the crowd was opposite the Post Office Lane. The Up-the-Gates, despairing of ever negotiating the upward incline that led to the top of Broad Street, concentrated all their strength in one great effort to carry the ba’ down Post Office Lane into Junction Road. In this they succeeded. Here the struggle was renewed with even greater intensity than ever. For a minute or two it seemed as if the tide was on the upward turn, as the ba’ was carried a yard or two up and beyond the place of exit. But the “Doonies” were not to be robbed of victory. They saw the time had come for a great exertion. Like a solid phalanx they closed round the ba’, and with a mighty heave they carried all before them, and the downward move began. Slowly, shadily, the crowd moved harbourwards, every inch of the ground being contested by the “Uppies,” who would not give in, although by this time they knew that the game was lost. It wanted just a quarter to four, and dusk was setting in, when at last the ball was thrown into the harbour, and another victory recorded for the “Down-the-Gates.” All through the contest the utmost good humour prevailed, and there is no untoward incident to record. The ba’ was awarded to Alex. Walls, seaman, who carried it home in triumph. Thus ended one of the most prolonged tussles in living memory.