© BRITISH NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE
Part 14 follows in due course.....
1905 April 12 Orkney Herald
SIR FREDERICK BURROUGHS
We regret to have to record to-day the death of Lieutenant-General Sir Frederick William Traill Burroughs, K.C.B., of Rousay and Viera. Sir Frederick fell ill towards the close of last year. Recovering somewhat, he was able in December to leave home for London. For a time hopes were entertained that he would be fully restored to health, but during the last week or two, notwithstanding the best medical treatment he gradually became weaker, and died on Sunday at the age of 74.
Sir Frederick Burroughs was the eldest son of Major-General Frederick William Burroughs, of the Bengal Infantry, and grandson of Sir William Burroughs of Castle Bagshawe, County Cavan. His mother was Caroline, only daughter of Captain Charles Adolphus Marie de Peyron, son of the Chevalier Charles Adrien de Peyron. In 1789, sometime after the death of the Chevalier de Peyron, his widow, a daughter of Sir George Colebrook, Bart., married William Traill of Woodwick, from whose son, George William Traill, the Commissioner of the Province of Kumaon in India, who purchased Rousay for a relative, Sir Frederick Burroughs succeeded to the estates of Rousay and Viera, and under a condition of the will prefaced the name Traill to his own surname. He was born in 1831, and received part of his education at Blackheath and part in France [in fact it was in Hofwyl, Switzerland].
Like so many of his forebears, he chose the army as his profession, and on March 31, 1848, he joined as an ensign the regiment with which the whole of his active service was spent and to the command of which he was to rise – the 93rd Highlanders. One of his earliest duties was as an officer of the guard of honour to Queen Victoria on her first visit to Aberdeen in September 1848. With the exception of a colour-sergeant he was the last survivor of that guard. With the 93rd he went to the Crimea on the outbreak of the war with Russia. He took part in the battle of the Alma, his regiment forming the centre of the Highland Brigade under Sir Colin Campbell, the 42nd being on the right and the 79th on the left. Later when the siege of Sebastopol had begun, the 93rd was thrown the responsibility for the defence of Balaclava and for preserving communication between the British forces and the outer world. Sir Colin Campbell, with the rank of Major-General, was Governor of the post. The story of the Russian attack is well-known, but will bear telling once again.
THE THIN RED LINE
On the 25th October 1854, an enormous force of Russians – 25 battalions of infantry, 34 squadrons of cavalry, and 78 guns – in all about 24,000 men – advanced in the direction of the Turkish redoubts outside Balaclava. These were easily occupied, the Turks evacuating one after the other, and fleeing in the direction of the port; though many of them halted and formed up on the flanks of the 93rd, who were drawn up in line on a hill outside the town. The historian of “The Highland Brigade” thus describes the battle:-
“And now the victorious Russians, being in full possession of the redoubts, advanced in force into the gentle valley which lay between themselves and the Highlanders, who occupied a piece of slightly rising ground. In their thousands they moved forward, and their artillery, coming within range, opened fire so successfully that one or two of the Highlanders and some of the Turks were wounded. Seeing this, Sir Colin retired his men behind the crest of the hill, and as they lay down he watched the development of the Russian movement. It was quickly revealed to him, for, as they watched, four squadron’s of the enemy’s cavalry, suddenly detaching themselves from the main body and heading straight for the 93rd, galloped forward at the charge. A critical moment was at hand, and one in which the chances were entirely in favour of the advancing horsemen. The force in Campbell’s hand was slender indeed when the task before it is considered. Formed in line, only two deep, were 550 of the 93rd, and about 100 invalids whom Colonel Devaney had drawn up on the Highlanders left. In addition were the Turks already mentioned, on whom, however, no reliance could be placed. But the General had confidence in his Highlanders, and to show it he rode down the line and said – ‘Now, men, remember there is no retreat from here. You must die where you stand.’ The response was decided and cheerful – ‘Aye, ay, Sir Colin; an’ need be, we’ll do that.’ It was John Scott, the right hand man of No. 6 Company [Burroughs’ Company], who spoke, and others took up and shouted forth the reply. Sir Colin immediately ordered the Highlanders forward to the crest of the hill, and the men obeyed with an impetuosity which suggested a desire to rush on and charge the advancing enemy. But this would have ruined all, and as they sprang forward Sir Colin, with his temper at fever heat, was heard fiercely shouting – ‘Ninety-third! Ninety-third! D—n all that eagerness.’ ‘The angry voice of the old man,’ says Kinglake, ‘quickly steadied the line.’ And now came an exhibition of quiet, resolute courage such as soldiers have seldom displayed on the field of battle. Discarding the usual method adopted by infantry on receiving cavalry in square – not even troubling himself to throw his men in fours - Sir Colin awaited the onslaught with his ‘thin red line’ of two deep. As the thunder of the furiously-galloping horse and the cries of the riders fell upon the ears of the Turks, huddled on the flanks of the 93rd, they quickly broke, and once more ran to the rear in utter affright, holding out their hands to the ships in the roadstead, and crying out, “Ship, ship.” But the 93rd stood firm as the unshaken rock. Nearer and nearer came the cavalry, their swords, lance-heads, and bright helmets glittering in the now clear morning light. Their pace was furious – General Wolseley calculates it at three hundred and fifty yards a minute – the ground seeming literally to fly beneath their feet, and the manner in which they brandished their weapons showed the fierceness of their desire for the combat. But combat was hardly to be expected, for ‘that thin red streak, tipped with steel’ might have been regarded as no greater an obstacle than a fence of furze. And coming on behind the leaders were squadron after squadron, says James Grant, ‘the successive waves of a human sea.’ It was a terrible trial for men to stand unmoved and watch this raging avalanche hurling itself against them. ‘In other parts of the field,’ says Dr Russell, of the Times, who saw the action, ‘with breathless suspense every one waited the bursting of the wave upon the line of Gaelic rock.’ But the time for action had come. Suddenly a word of command rang out sharp and clear, and the rifles of the 93rd were levelled at the advancing foe. The plumed heads drooped as the regulation three seconds were spent in taking careful aim. Then flashed out from flank to flank a withering volley, which sent dismay into the enemy’s ranks, caused them to reel, stagger, stumble, and recoil. Their headlong course was checked, and as they tried to extricate themselves from the wild confusion into which they had been thrown, the cool Highlanders, calmly as if on parade, brought their butts to the ground and reloaded. A detachment headed off from the main body of the enemy, and moving to the left attempted to outflank the 93rd. ‘That man knows his business, Shadwell,’ said Sir Colin to a staff officer beside him; and also knowing his business Sir Colin wheeled a portion of his men to the right to meet the emergency. The movement was successful. One more volley, and the discomfited horsemen were galloping back in full retreat. ‘Well done, brave Highlanders,’ shouted the spectators, as they for a moment breathed again. A great end had been achieved, a marvellous feat in warfare accomplished. The weakest point in the defence of Balaclava had been maintained, and the Russian opportunity lost. General Burroughs, who was at the time lieutenant of No. 6 Company, states in ‘The Records of the 93rd Regiment,’ that a party of British officers were afterwards informed by Russian officers who were in the engagement that ‘few of us were killed, but nearly every man and horse was wounded.’”
The safety of Balaclava was thus secured, but cavalry fighting followed, including the famous charge of the Light Brigade.
OTHER SERVICES IN THE CRIMEA
In the following year Sir Frederick Burroughs took part in the expedition to Kertch, then the most important point in the Crimea, on the eastern shore the peninsula, on the strait of Kaffa or Yenikali. Kertch was levelled to the ground. He also shared in the attacks of 18th June and 8th Sept. 1855 on the Sebastopol forts. The capture of the Malakoff and Redan on the latter date compelled the Russians to evacuate the town and retire to the north side. Peace negotiations followed and resulted in the termination of the war. For his services in the Crimea he received the Crimean Medal with three clasps, the Turkish medal, and the 5th Class of the Turkish Order of the Medjidi.
THE INDIAN MUTINY
Shortly after the end of the Crimean War the Indian Mutiny broke out, and the 93rd was sent out to assist quelling it (1857-8). In that campaign Sir Frederick Burroughs took part in the relief of Lucknow by Lord Clyde (Sir Colin Campbell), the storming of the Secundrabagh and of the Shanujeev, the battle of Cawnpore on 6th December 1857, the pursuit of Seraighat, the action of Khodagunge, the storming of the Beegum Khotee, and the capture of Lucknow. He was first through the breach of Secundrabagh, and was slightly wounded on the head with a tulwar cut, and was severely wounded at the battle of Lucknow. He was given the Brevet rank of Major in his regiment and received the Mutiny medal with two clasps.
THE CAPTURE OF THE SECUNDRABAGH
Of the capture of the Secundrabagh some account must be given because of the discussions which have taken place over the awards of the coveted Victoria Cross for valour on that occasion. Lord Roberts' book, published in1897, gave rise to a correspondence in the Standard of considerable military interest. The question mooted was whether Captain Burroughs or Lieutenant Cooper (who was given the Victoria Cross for it), was the first in at the hole in the wall. We are not aware (said the Broad Arrow, commenting at the time on this correspondence) that Cooper himself actually claimed that he was the first man in, but others, among them Colonel Malleson and now Lord Roberts, have made the claim for him. On the other hand, Burroughs distinctly and officially claimed that he was the first of the survivors who entered by the hole in the wall, and all who knew him will feel convinced that he is not the man to rob his comrade of an honour. Lord Roberts, in describing the assault which he witnessed, asserts that a Highlander was the first, but was shot as he entered; a man of the 4th Punjab Infantry came next, and he also was slain; that Lieut. Cooper was third, and that he was immediately followed by Lieutenant-Colonel Ewart, both of the 93rd. Forbes Mitchell, in his account of the storm, asserts that Burroughs was the first officer to enter, and that he – Forbes Mitchell – assisted Lieutenant-Colonel Ewart to enter, he himself following with Lieut. Cooper. Col. (afterwards Gen. Sir John) Ewart, according to Malleson, when writing in 1880, said – “I cannot tell you precisely who was first through the hole, Captain Burroughs claimed the honour, and certainly he was in before me, for when I jumped through I noticed him inside with his head bleeding from a sabre cut.” The most important contribution to the controversy was, however, the letter in the Standard signed “W. G. A.. Lieutenant-Colonel (late 93rd Highlanders),” who is evidently Lieut.-General William Gordon Alexander. That officer states that he kept a diary during the whole of the mutiny campaign, that he was Captain Burroughs’ subaltern at the capture of the Secundrabagh, and that he was one of the first four officers who entered the breach. His story is that the wing of the 93rd was on a sloping bank facing the Secundrabagh, and within close range of it, whilst the artillery was trying to make a breach. After waiting about an hour and a half, Lord Clyde gave the order to storm. Burroughs had for some time been standing on the top of the bank drawing down a heavy fire by thus exposing himself – so as to get a good start. When the signal was given Burroughs rushed. He had only to jump down, while his company had to rise, climb the bank, and then jump down. Owing to the trend of the bank he had twenty yards start of both Ewart and Cooper. Colonel Alexander says that he ran his best to get through the heavy fire and saw Burroughs “go a header” through the hole before there was a man near him; Burroughs was followed in by Cooper and a private, then Alexander after helping Ewart in, entered himself. Colonel Alexander affirms most positively that not a single Native soldier entered by that breach. It is quite clear therefore that Burroughs was the first man who passed through the hole, and the differences of opinion and narrative can easily be explained. The fire was hot, nerves were highly strung, the atmosphere was clouded by smoke and dust, claymores were flashing, tartans and the foxtails of the feather bonnets were flying in the air. What wonder then if mistakes were made about details. Moreover the Highland full dress is such that at a distance it is not easy for a stranger to identify any one individual out of several Highland soldiers. Still, after considering the evidence of Ewart, Forbes Mitchell, Alexander, and Burroughs himself, we have no doubt that General Burroughs was the first man who passed alive through the hole in the Secundrabagh, and we consider the question as now finally settled.
WOUNDED AT LUCKNOW
Reference may also be made to the last day’s fighting at Lucknow – 27th March 1858. On that day No. 6 Company of the 93rd Highlanders under Captain Burroughs was on guard at the Burra Durree Gateway, when it was reported that some Sepoys held a house near the post and were firing at all passers-by. “Captain Burroughs,” says Croall, “at once started with a party to dislodge them, and having gained the top of the flat-roofed house occupied by the Sepoys, he was making arrangements to dislodge them, when he saw a puff of smoke beneath him. Instantly expecting an explosion, Burroughs sprang down the stairs, but too late to escape. The staircase was blown from under him, a brick struck his right leg, breaking it. As he fell the leg was broken again, and he was covered by the falling wall of the building. In a sadly bruised and injured condition the unfortunate officer was removed to the Dilkoosha, where he was put under chloroform and had his twice-broken limb set. The explanation of the explosion was that a party of another regiment, bent on the same errand as the party under Burroughs - but each knowing nothing of the other - had got within the building, and resolved to clear out the enemy by bringing it down about their ears. They were entirely successful and Burroughs in due time perfectly recovered."
RECEIVES FREEDOM OF KIRKWALL
Though the 93rd did not return to Scotland after the Mutiny till 1870, Major Burroughs was at home for a time, and in 1859, the freedom of the Burgh of Kirkwall was conferred on him. Returning to India he was with the regiment at Peshawar in 1862 when cholera raged and carried off many of the officers and killed the rank and file like flies. By the deaths of Lieutenant-Colonel Macdonald and Major Middleton, Major Burroughs succeeded temporarily to the command. He marched the regiment across a low range of hills to Jubba, when the epidemic abated and finally disappeared. The Adjutant-General issued an order in which was this passage:- “It is most gratifying to the Commander-in-Chief to learn that the conduct of all ranks throughout the trying season was so admirable, and that, notwithstanding the adverse circumstances of cholera and fever, the drill and discipline of the 93rd Highlanders did not suffer in any way, a state of things which reflects the greatest credit on Major Burroughs, the officers, and non-commissioned officers and men of this very distinguished regiment.”
THE EUSOFZAI EXPEDITION
In the end of 1864, the regiment was ordered to form part of the field force under Sir Neville Chamberlain. The campaign was against the Bonyers and other mountain tribes on the N.W. frontier. The campaign involved more hard marching than fighting. Major Burroughs commanded the regiment in the Umbeyla Pass, and was mentioned in despatches, and received the medal and clasp for the operations.
ASSAULTED BY A TEMPLE OFFICIAL
On 18th June 1868, Col. Burroughs (as he then was) was assaulted by the Darogah when visiting a mosque at Lucknow. The Colonel wished to ascend a minaret when the Darogah insulted him, and the Colonel became angry. The Darogah called on the hangers-on about the temple, and some thirty of these attacked Colonel Burroughs with bamboos and latees. He was severely beaten, but managed to escape to his buggy. The attackers followed, cut the reins of his horse, and beat the syce [groom]. The Darogah was tried and sentenced to a month’s imprisonment.
In 1864 the promotion of Colonel Sisted led to the further promotion of Major Burroughs to be Lieut.-Colonel in command of the regiment, and it was under his command as Colonel (to which he was promoted in August 1869) that the regiment landed from the troopship Himalaya at Leith on their return home after thirteen years’ service in India. The regiment was at first sent to Aberdeen, and then removed to Edinburgh. Here new colours were presented to the regiment in the Queen’s Park by the Duchess of Sutherland. Before the new flags were presented, the worn and tattered colours which the regiment had carried through the Mutiny were trooped. Colonel Burroughs, in offering to her Grace the old colours, which had been presented to the regiment by the Duke of Cambridge after the Crimean War, said:- “These colours that are now so war-worn and tattered were our rallying-point in the Indian Mutiny War. We offer them for your Grace’s acceptance, and hope you will accord them an asylum at Dunrobin Castle, where the regiment was first mustered. On former occasions of presentations of colours, it is recorded that the officers then in command promised and vowed, in the name of the regiment, that it would do its duty to its King, Queen, and country. The pages of history are witnesses how faithfully those vows have been kept. In accepting these new colours at your Grace’s hands, I call upon the officers, non-commissioned officers, and soldiers of the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders to bear in mind that they were presented by her Grace the Duchess of Sutherland, and I call upon the regiment to vow with me that we will defend them to the last; that we will ever faithfully do our duty to our Queen and country; that we will never permit the good name of the Sutherland regiment to be sullied, and, remembering that the Sutherland motto is sans peur [without fear], at it will ever be our endeavour that our conduct on all occasions shall be sans reproche.”
RETIREMENT FROM THE COMMAND
In October 1873, after twenty-five years' service, during which he was never on half pay, Colonel Burroughs gave up command of the 93rd and returned to Orkney, where he afterwards made his home. His retirement was the occasion of a great demonstration by the soldiers at Aldershot, where the regiment then was. Every person in the lines of the regiment turned out to give him a hearty farewell and wish him happiness in private life. No sooner had he taken his seat in the carriage to drive to the railway station than a scene presented itself of rare occurrence in the orderly north camp. The regiment and band formed up, the horses were removed from the carriage, which was dragged along by a number of the men, preceded by the band playing “Will ye no come back again?” the rest of the men following and cheering lustily. On reaching Farnham Road, the band took up a place at one side, and played “Auld Lang Syne," the horses were re-yoked, and the Colonel drove slowly on while the men mounted the trees on the roadside and cheered as only British soldiers can. The demonstration was a remarkable and spontaneous tribute to the relations existing between Colonel Burroughs and the men under his command. He was the soldiers’ friend as well as their commanding officer. Before handing over the command he delivered a farewell address, in which he thanked officers and non-commissioned officers for their support, and the men for their exemplary good conduct. He expressed his unfeigned sorrow at quitting a regiment in which he had spent the best years of his life; and concluded by saying – “I remind the regiment that it has always borne the honourable reputation of being one of the finest, bravest, and best-conducted regiments in Her Majesty’s service, and that the maintenance of this high reputation has been and is dependent on the deportment of every individual in it; and I hope that everyone will earnestly strive to uphold the name of the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders.”
After retiring from active service, Colonel Burroughs continued to take a keen interest in military affairs, and his kindness to old soldiers was well known. He was made a Major-General, March 16, 1880, and Lieutenant-General, July 1, 1881. In June 1897 he was appointed Honorary Colonel of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, a post which he vacated last year on being appointed Hon. Colonel of his old regiment and its linked battalion, the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, much to the satisfaction of the regiment. On the occasion of the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales to Aldershot in the summer of 1873, Colonel Burroughs was created a Companion of the Bath. On the King’s Birthday last year he received the honour of knighthood in the same Order.
Colonel Burroughs made Rousay his home after 1873. He built Trumland House, and resided there. He took much interest in the Volunteers, and was for several years Colonel in the Orkney Volunteer Artillery, presenting the regiment a challenge shield for company drill. His relations with his tenantry were generally friendly, though some friction was caused in recent years by the working of the Crofter’s Act, which General Burroughs regarded as a most unjust measure. He was for many years a member of most of the county and parish boards, both before and since the passing of the Local Government Act – County Council, Commissioners of Supply, Orkney Harbours Commissioners, Road Trust, School Board, Parish Council, &c. He was also a Justice of the Peace; and after being for some years a Deputy-Lieutenant of the County, he was a few years ago appointed Vice-Lieutenant. He gave his support to nearly all the public institutions and associations in the county.
In politics a Conservative, Sir Frederick did not take a very active part in political affairs. He leant particularly to the school of political thought which is represented by the Liberty and Property Defence League, of which he was one of the office-bearers. In an article in the Liberty Review, the League’s organ, he expounded his views on the land question. He was, we believe, engaged in writing a volume of reminiscences when his last illness seized him.
An attached member of the Episcopal Church, Sir Frederick T. Burroughs was one of the founders of St Olaf’s Church, Kirkwall, the foundation stone of which he laid in November 1874, and he was for many years a member of the vestry of that congregation.
Sir Frederick Burroughs married on 4th June 1870, Eliza D’Oyly, youngest daughter of Colonel William Geddes, C.B., of the Royal Artillery, by whom he is survived. Their visit to Orkney in the end of July of that year, after their marriage, was the occasion of a hearty demonstration of welcome by the tenantry on the estates of Rousay and Veira. The last occasion which the tenants had of congratulating him was last June on his receiving the honour of knighthood, when they presented him with an illuminated address.
His character may be easily summed up. He was a loyal subject, a brave soldier, a kind commanding officer, the soldier’s friend, and a most courteous gentleman.
The funeral will take place in London on Friday. A service will be held in St Gabriel’s Church at 12.45 p.m., and the interment in Brompton Cemetery at half-past one o’clock.
1905 April 19 Orkney Herald
LIEUT.-GENERAL SIR FREDERICK W. TRAILL-BURROUGHS, K.C.B.
The funeral of Sir Frederick W. Traill-Burroughs took place on the afternoon of Friday, April 14th, at Brompton Cemetery, London, the interment being in the vault of the late George William Traill of Viera. The first part of the service was held at St Gabriel’s Church, Warwick Square. The body was carried to the church by a bearer party of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise’s Own) consisting of the regimental sergeant-major and seven non-commissioned officers, preceded by their pipe major, who came from Longmore Camp for the occasion. The coffin was covered with the Union Jack, on which were placed the late General’s cocked hat and sword, together with his orders and medals. On and around the coffin were placed floral crosses and wreaths. Conspicuous among these were a beautiful cross from General Burroughs’ family, a magnificent wreath from the Colonel and officers of the Orkney Volunteer Artillery, also wreaths from both battalions of the General’s regiment, from the old officers of the 91st and 93rd Highlanders, and wreaths from friends in Rousay and the household. The chief mourners were Lady Traill-Burroughs, Colonel C. Burroughs, Miss Burroughs, Mrs Dunbar, the Misses Keene, Mr Justin Keene, Mr Hume Dunbar, Mr John Logie, Sir John Sinclair of Barrock, Mr Lillie and the Misses Lillie. During the seating of the congregation, the organist, Mr G. Douglas Smith, played Beethoven’s “Funeral March on the Death of a Hero” and Chopin’s “Marche Funebre.” The service was conducted by the Rev. Canon Morris, vicar of St Gabriel’s, assisted by the Venerable Archdeacon Sinclair. The body was met at the west door by clergy and choir, who preceded it up the nave, the vicar reciting the opening sentences of the burial service. The psalm “Domine, Refugium,” was sung, and the hymns “Rock of Ages” and “O God our help in ages past,” were beautifully rendered by the choir of St Gabriel’s. At the conclusion of the service in church, the organist played the Dead March in “Saul” whilst the body was removed to the hearse for conveyance to Brompton Cemetery. At the grave the service was taken by the Venerable Archdeacon Sinclair, the regimental pipe-major playing a solemn lament before the numerous mourners separated. The pall-bearers were:- The Lord Lieutenant of the County (Capt. Laing), Sir John Sinclair of Barrock, Colonel Urmston, of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Col. Menzies Clayhills (one of the survivors of the “Thin Red Line” at Balaclava), Mr Justin Keene, Mr Hume Dunbar, Colonel Chator (late Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders), Colonel Colquhoun, and Mr Sutherland-Graeme of Graemeshall. A very large number of friends were present at the church at Brompton Cemetery. Among those connected with Orkney were Mrs Sutherland-Graeme, Miss Maud Balfour, Mrs Garson, Miss Macrae, Miss Traill (of Woodwick), Mrs Thompson, Mr Henry Traill (of Woodwick), Major Jas. Traill of Ratter, Capt. Murray Traill, Mr Thos. Traill (of Holland), Mr Patrick Sutherland-Graeme, younger of Graemeshall, Mr and Mrs Grahame Watt, Mr and Mrs Cathcart Wason, Mrs Logie, Miss Mainland, Mr and Mrs George Taylor, Mr W. Corsie, Mr Thompson, Mr Inkster, Mr Alex. Murison, and Dr and Mrs Broadbent:.....Wreaths and flowers were sent by the officers of the 93rd highlanders; the officers of the 91st Highlanders; old officers 91st and 93rd Highlanders; Colonel and officers, Orkney Artillery Volunteers; the family of the late Sir F. W. Traill-Burroughs; Mrs Arbuthnot, Westness, Rousay; Mrs Arbuthnot’s children, do., do.; Colonel Colquhoun, Mrs and Miss Colquhoun, Mrs Barry, Mrs Walter Forbes, Mrs Sutherland-Graeme, Colonel and Mrs Balfour of Balfour, the Misses Balfour, Mrs Radcliff, Rev. E. R. Burroughs, Miss Mainland, Mr and Mrs John Logie and servants, friends in Rousay.....A great number of telegrams was received by Lady Burroughs, among others from the Duchess of Argyll, Princess Louise; the Provost of Kirkwall and Town Council, Mr Middlemore of Melsetter, Col. And Mrs Balfour of Balfour, Rev. J. B. Craven, Rev. Mr and Mrs Pirie, Mr Baikie of Tankerness, Colonel and Mrs Bailey, officers and men of the Orkney Artillery Volunteers, Mrs Arbuthnot, Mr and Mrs David Johnston, Rousay; Mr Munroe, do.; Mr, Mrs, and Miss William Logie, do.; Mr, Mrs, and Misses Craigie, do.; Mr and Mrs Cutt, do.; Superintendent, Mrs, and Master Atkin, Kirkwall; Firemaster Inkster, Aberdeen.
UNITED FREE CHURCH, ROUSAY
On Friday, 14th April, at 12.45 p.m., the funeral of the late Sir Frederick Traill Burroughs took place in London at Brompton Cemetery, and, at the same hour, a memorial service was held in the Trumland United Free Church, Rousay. There was a large attendance of tenants and friends, notwithstanding the inclemency of the weather. The service was conducted by Rev. A. Irvine Pirie and Rev. John McLennan. In addition to devotional exercises and Scripture readings, several appropriate hymns were sung, and the congregation stood whilst the "Dead March in Saul” was played on the organ. During the service Rev. A. I. Pirie made the following statement regarding the late esteemed proprietor:-
Our thoughts to-day go out to the solemn procession that is at this moment wending its way to the Brompton Cemetery on the south west side of London. The earthly remains of Sir Frederick Traill Burroughs, the late esteemed proprietor of this estate, and to many of us a long-standing personal friend, are at this hour being committed to their last resting-place with military honours. As we, his tenants and friends resident on the estate, cannot be present at the funeral obsequies in London, we meet here to show our high respect for the deceased and to express our heartfelt sympathy with Lady Burroughs in her sad bereavement, and to unite in prayer that the God and Father of all comfort may comfort her in this time of heavy affliction and loneliness. It is not necessary for me to dwell upon Sir Frederick’s early life and military career; that has been published in considerable fullness elsewhere. He was a thorough soldier. His whole character and conduct were shaped and strongly influenced by military training and standards. Thirty-two years ago he retired from active service, and he and Lady Burroughs came to reside here on their estate. During the whole of these years, he has been a most active and painstaking sharer in the life and work of the place. Called to occupy a high position in life, it was his constant aim to play his part well and to leave no duty unattended to. His high sense of duty made him ready and anxious to serve the parish on its public boards, and he highly appreciated the confidence shown to him repeatedly at the election of members to these boards. He fulfilled these public offices most faithfully, sparing neither time nor expense in doing so. He fearlessly contended for what he conscientiously believed to be right, and as fearlessly condemned what he believed to be wrong. It may be honestly said that he lived a model private life, and those who knew him best were most attached to him. Very gentlemanly and considerate to those dependent on him, the soldiers in his regiment and his household felt the fascination of his character, and were strongly attached to him. Punctual and severely correct in his habits, he appreciated the same virtues in others, and frowned on all that was slovenly or low in act or speech. His speech was at all times singularly pure, and anything bordering on the profane and vulgar he abhorred and instantly condemned. Strictly temperate in all things, and devoutly religious, his example and influence were always on the side of what makes human life pure and noble. An Episcopalian in sympathy, and by church connection, he nevertheless was liberal in his views of church order; he was strongly evangelical in his beliefs, and held that the Christian life was more important than church forms. During his long residence on the estate he worshipped regularly in the Presbyterian Church, and for more than half of that time in this church in which we are now met. Except when away from the island, he was rarely absent from public worship, and was always anxious to bring his visitors with him. Only a few months ago we met to welcome him home on his return from receiving the honour of knighthood conferred on him by His Majesty the King. He had been spared but a very short time to enjoy this well-earned honour. Truly “all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth and the flower fadeth.” During his late illness Sir Frederick quietly looked forward to his departure, in the expectation that he would then enter a brighter world. He expressed himself as wearied of earthly things and scenes, and stated that his trust was in his Saviour who would never leave him. Personally, I found him extremely kind, and I feel to-day that I have lost a true and genuine friend. Death is always busy making blanks in homes and social circles, but when one occupying such a prominent position as Sir Frederick Burroughs occupied is removed, the blank seems very great and the changes involved far-reaching. The greatest change of all will be experienced by Lady Burroughs, and our sincere sympathy goes out towards her to-day. She has been a true helpmeet to her husband during all the time of his residence on the estate, entering most cordially into all movements for the well-being of the community, and l am sure I express the universal feeling when I pray that in this, the heaviest of all human afflictions, she may be comforted and strengthened by the divine grace, and that she may find consolation in the faith that her late devoted husband has gone "to be forever with his Lord."
© BRITISH NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE
Part 14 follows in due course.....